So Where Are All These Unemployed People?

Page 3 of 6

Stranded wrote:

Many of those unemployed folks have flocked to the states where the economy is in fairly decent shape, Texas in particular. The apparent unemployment rate in TX is lower than most states, even though it appears higher than it really is due to all the unemployed folks flocking here to find work.

Correct. The report I read said the umemployment rate was up to 8.3% (from 8.0) but 62,000 jobs had been added. The only way that can happen is more folks moving in than jobs created.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It's government math. The those capable of working but who have given up looking for work are not counted amongst the "unemployed."

Neither are those who are working part time or flipping burgers with masters degrees. Funny how some people were all too willing to count those when the unemployment rate showed 5% but totally ignore them when they are in control and the unemployment is 10%.
BobR wrote:

All the human has to do is load the hockey pucks in the hopper, and assemble the burgers at the other end. Saves on training and insurance. Lean over and look at the register next time you buy junk food. Around here, half the registers have pictures instead of numbers....
-- aem sends...
On 02/08/10 06:43 pm, HeyBub wrote:

I'm sure the statistics were much more accurate in UK and Australia when the unemployed had to register with the govt-run employment agency to get their unemployment benefits, keep reporting back every so often, and show evidence of having applied for the jobs that appeared to be a good fit. Of course the unemployed were encouraged to look for work through other channels as well.
If there is a period after which person can no longer collect unemployment benefits, how does anybody know that that person is still unemployed?
Perce
On Feb 8, 9:10am, stayin@home. (Stranded) wrote:

Me and most of my neighborhood were all set for the snow with snow throwers and generators. Neighbor in back, with drive longer than yours, did it with a snow thrower and we had just as much snow as you.

Oh I have a whole house Kohler generator but power from the elec. co. wasn't interrupted -- this time.
But you can't eat propane.
Can't imagine anyone doing a real long drive with a walk behind snow thrower especially with 2 ft. of snow. He must have a huge machine and probably had to refill his tank a dozen times.
Stranded wrote:

What are you, a princess? Looking for reasons to whine about your self-created situation instead of doing something about it? Get off the internet and deal.

Was on the phone most of the morning trying to "deal."
Young people don't want to work today; they want someone to take care of them. And they whine that they're unemployed.
Landscapers advertise "snow removal" in the phone book but it's just a waste of print.
On Feb 8, 1:39pm, stayin@home. (Stranded) wrote:

After 24" of snow there aren't too many landscapers looking for new customers. They're going 24/7 just trying to clear out the customers they already have.
If you do find a landscaper that isn't busy as hell right now, you probably don't want him to clear your driveway.
Hell, I doubt if a landscaper could even touch your driveway with a pickup and blade. He'd just bounce off the snowbank at the end of the driveway. The farmer would be scooping at that bank for hours just to get himself off the road. You really need someone with a big 10- wheeler and a V-plow, or a big tractor and snowblower.
Call your farmer friend and ask him if he knows another farmer with a cab tractor and a snowblower that might be willing to come dig you out.
Stranded wrote:

By 'deal' I meant get *your* butt out the door and start shoveling. You created the situation by choosing a property with such a driveway. You should have had a contingency plan in place for when Plan A (somebody else clears your driveway) fails to execute. Apparently, you hadn't. Okay, time to grab the shovel and start digging your way out. Or, put on your boots and walk out. Either approach will get you further than will griping on the internet about your inability to find someone else to deal with your problem.
And I would suggest that you acquire one of the following if you plan on keeping the property: A. a snowblower; B. a truck/plow combination; C. a snowmobile. Then you'll be prepared if Plan A fails again in the future.

30-35 years ago, the old lady and I shoveled the driveway. Three of the snowfalls were in the 20-24" range and it took a week for each one to complete the job. Sometimes we just kept the vehicle at the bottom of the hill and walked up to the house. Then we found the farmer.
Can't shovel like that anymore.

Would love like hell to have a blade installed on my Chev. Colorado. But I'm a klutz when it comes to blue collar stuff that you tool heads are so good at. I'm reading on the Internet about the necessity of having truck with heavy duty transmission, axle, suspension. I doubt if a Colorado fits the bill. Then it talks about ballast in the bed, whatever that means. And hell, those blades have got to be hundreds of lbs. So you take it off in Spring and just let it fall to the ground. No way can I dead lift hundreds of lbs. anymore. Didn't realize a snow blade was so complex.

If you're that incompetant, you should move to the city.
(Stranded) wrote:

Check out the Home Owner Plows built by SnowBear or Fisher...I have one for 4 years and love it...My snowbear weighs about 300 pounds and will fit any truck...It uses an electric winch to raise and lower the plow with remote in thr cab..You do have to angle it by hand but it's a breeze...I LOVE it...About 1500 bucks....
(Stranded) wrote:

Forgot to add it sits on a little cart you just wheel up to the truck...No lifting..

...and it ain't gonna move 24" of snow.

Again, what's so hard about shoveling a narrow path to the road and picking up the groceries you had delivered to the bottom of the driveway? If you are incapable of shoveling snow AND you have failed to have both a primary and secondary snow removal plan, you have no business living on your own in the boonies.

20" on top of it.
PRIMARY PLAN: Assume that the farmer who has been reliable for so many years would continue to be.
SECONDARY PLAN: Call other snow removal people listed in phone book.
TERTIARY PLAN: If I'd've know that #1 and #2 wouldn't work, I'd've put the vehicle at the bottom of the driveway, shop for small amts. of food every day, and carry it up the hill. We did this in the past.
Next year, when the snow clears. Be sure to buy ahead, and keep your home stocked with food, kerosene, and other needs.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus