So what's the scam here?

nestork wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@diybanter.com:

[...]

I think you missed the part about the photo not matching what he told me the model number was -- "someone who legitimately owns the saw" would know what he's selling.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Look into Google Voice. Set up a phone number in ANY area code you wish (including your own) and it will act as a filter. Phone messages are recorded, transcribed and shipped to you anonymously. You can also listen in on the call being left and pick up if you wish.

I use it almost exclusively for Craigslist dealing. It's free.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I'm too deaf to use a cell phone away from the house...

Reply to
Richard

Doug:

Here's the saw he told you was a DW703... [image:

But, it was NOT a DW703. You know that for a fact.

.. and here's some pictures of a DeWalt DW708 sliding compound miter saw:

[image:

[image:

It's the same saw.

Can you understand how an 8 stamped into a piece of aluminum could be mistaken for a 3 if the light from a light bulb was reflecting off the left side of the 8? Or, how some wood dust on that aluminum plate could make an 8 look like a 3?

In my opinion, there's reasonable grounds to call that an honest mistake.

But you can interpret that incorrect statement as proof of dishonesty and walk away from the deal if you want. Large purchase decisions often pivot on small reasons.

Reply to
nestork

Been using a Google Voice phone number for online use for a number of years. Very handy.

Reply to
Swingman

nestork wrote in news:nestork.b873c08 @diybanter.com:

[...]

You've obviously never looked at a DeWalt tool. A DeWalt model number is not "stamped into a piece of aluminum". It's on a label on the motor housing, a high-contrast label with the model number in yellow lettering a fourth of an inch high on a black background. It would be absolutely impossible to mistake "708" for "703".

No, there is not. No way in the world can that be "an honest mistake".

I can, I do, and it is. No "interpretation" is needed in a situation as clear as this.

I did.

This is not a "small reason" -- the saw being sold is not the one shown in the picture, a classic bait-and-switch.

Reply to
Doug Miller

ontrast label with the

ground. It would be

s clear as this.

n the picture, a

The ""8" vs "3" possibility might have some validity if there were not the other red flags. For example, he may not have looked at the markings when he replied to your question about what model it was. Maybe he wasn't even near the saw. He could have replied from memory, or looked at a scribbled piece of paper. But I agree coupled with the other behavior and all taken together, it smells fishy.

I just sold a Generac generator part on CL for $75. Posted the ad, provided real pics, model #. Had a guy reply that asked some questions, then said he wanted it. I gave him my cell, we talked and he came over to pick it up at my house.

Reply to
trader4