So I Got My Steering Wheel Turning Knob

Page 1 of 2
This was for the garden tractor because they're illegal for on road vehicles. Got it off the Internet and couldn't really see its dimensions.
How in hell can it fit on any steering wheel? It comes with skinny removable bottom plate. The bolts are so short, you couldn't attach it to any kind of steering wheel.
On Sun, 20 May 2012 13:54:31 -0400, Way Back Jack

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to never do business with that underhanded place!

the steering wheels that USED to be used on cars were a lot skinnier than what's on today's vehicles. so the knob may have fit fine on those older cars but not on modern cars.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
This was for the garden tractor because they're illegal for on road vehicles. Got it off the Internet and couldn't really see its dimensions.
How in hell can it fit on any steering wheel? It comes with skinny removable bottom plate. The bolts are so short, you couldn't attach it to any kind of steering wheel.
On 5/20/12 12:54 PM, Way Back Jack wrote:

Duct tape.
There are plenty of steering wheel spinners available on Ebay. Think farm tractor.
On Sun, 20 May 2012 17:41:46 -0500, Dean Hoffman

Better yet, go to any local farm supply store or the parts dept. at any place that sells tractors. No shipping, no waiting, no ebay hassles. They're not costly either.
On May 20, 6:57pm, snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote:

WHy are they illegal on on-road vehicles??
On 5/20/12 7:43 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

I was curious too. It varies by state apparently. There's a bit here about the Michigan law: http://tinyurl.com/cot44rz It's the first one I run across during a search. Handicapped people can use a variety of spinners.

I've always known them to be called Suicide Knobs.
According to this site, they are not illegal in any state:
http://www.suicideknob.net/state_laws.html
I quote...
"State Laws: Searching through each state's statutes, there were no laws in the 50 states banning the use of steering wheel knobs on regular cars."
On Mon, 21 May 2012 12:19:31 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Ah, somebody said so on the internet. Then somebody else - me - finds this on the internet.
********************************************************************** http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?citeF.37.375
RCW 46.37.375 Steering and suspension systems
(1) Construction of steering control system. The steering control system shall be constructed and maintained so that no components or attachments, including horn activating mechanism and trim hardware, can catch the driver's clothing or jewelry during normal driving maneuvers. *********************************************************************
Now, nowhere is the word "spinner" or "knob" used. But anybody who's ever had a spinner - me, for example - knows they can catch a shirt sleeve. Bottom line - it's up to the cop. If he wants to give you a ticket, he can find a reason. I'm always polite to cops. Because I'm a polite guy. Not getting tickets is a side benefit of that.
--
Vic

On Mon, 21 May 2012 14:47:38 -0500, Vic Smith

I got stopped by the police about 20 years, agol, probably for speeding, on the Balt. beltway.
He wanted me to open my trunk -- I think he thought there would be horses inside and the extra horsepower enabled me to speed.
In the trunk was a big plain tan box on which was handwritten in magic marker "Loc. 64". The cop said to me, "Local 64". I siaid Uh huh,.. He smiled and sent me on my way without a ticket.
Actually, it stood for "Location 64". The computer room and the printer for the computer programmers was in another building, and several times a day, someone would deliver computer program listings and results to each room in the main building where programmers worked (and I guess to the executives and staff who ran programs that were "in production". . My room was location 64. Should I go back and explain this to the policeman? Or should I complain that he shows favoritism to union members?

Good one. Maybe you weren't even speeding. Maybe he did it because he didn't want flak from his wife, who actually did work for Local 64. You'll never know. One time I did some outrageous stuff - speeding, improper lane use, and blowing a red. Chicago - north side, on Diversey Ave. Then I pulled into a 7-11 to get milk before the squad chasing me could get their lights on. I saw them coming. As I non-chalantly walked to the door of the store, the squad squealed into the lot, 2 cops got out, and the young one yelled at me "Hey, come here!" He was mad as hell. The older one told him "Hey, I'll take care of this." He asks me why I just did all that bad stuff. I just told him the truth. "The guy I passed was doing 20, cost me a couple lights, and I got pissed. Sorry, I know it was wrong. I just got hired for a new job, and want to get a gallon of milk, get home, and hug my wife. He was slowing me down bad." The young tall cop was behind the old cop, scowling. I know he wanted to cuff me. So the old cop says, "Got a new job? Cool. I'm retiring next week myself." I say, "That's great! Whatcha gonna do?" He says, "I bought a small dairy farm in Ladysmith, Wisconsin. I'm going there." Now Ladysmith is probably known by 10 people in the city of Chicago. I happened to be one of them. "No shit," I say, "That's real nice country. I go by there all the time on the way to Grindstone to fish for Musky." Anyway, we start talking Ladysmith and fishing. The young cop got a look of pure disgust on his face, and stomped off to go sit in the squad. We talked a few more minutes, I promised to not do it again, we wished each other luck, they left, I got my milk and went home to hug my wife. I kept my promise - in that territory anyway, and sometimes wondered how it went for the cop up in Ladysmith. I hope it went well for him. He saved me a lot of money and maybe my license. I never had problems with cops. Just respect them as you expect, and tell the truth. Sure, I've run across a few pricks. BFD.
--
Vic

On 5/21/2012 2:19 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

It's always been my understanding that the "they're illegal" was always a wives tale. I know several people who have them on their trucks.
--
Steve Barker

Perhaps it's an old wife's tale, but Vic's post that states that anything that can catch on clothing would be illegal could be construed to include Suicide Knobs even if they are not specifically mentioned by name in any state law.
I guess that would depend on what you wear - seriously. I guess if you could prove that you always wear spandex and that no one else ever drives your car, then a suicide knob on a steering would (should) be allowed. I'm being slight facetious, but there does seem to be some gray area in Vic's cite.
On Tue, 22 May 2012 07:21:22 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

That was just one state, Washington. I found that law cited on a trucker site. I think he just got a warning from an inspector. This is a pretty good link for vehicle equipment for different states.
http://traffic.findlaw.com/traffic-tickets/unlawful-vehicle-modifications-state-laws.html
I looked at 6-7 states expecting to find similar laws. Nope. So it probably is an old-wives-tale.

That's why it's probably best to just ask a traffic cop or two if you're going to do anything silly. They'll tell you if you could get a ticket. Truckers still use spinners. Different deal. Spinners are silly to me because I drive modern cars with power steering and little bitty but thick upholstered steering wheels. I only had them on old cars with no power steering, and big plastic skinny steering wheels that had to be cranked a lot and could also get slick with sweat, because the cars/trucks had no A/C. Without PS they had higher ratio steering boxes, and it might take a couple full turns on the wheel to max your turn, like when parking. That spinner could rap your wrist bone pretty good when the wheel spun back too. I don't know about them now, but the ones I had a latch so you could flip the knob inside the wheel and out of the way. My son had a red Beretta he tricked out and I kept after him to tone it down because the cops were always stopping him for nothing except being a cop magnet. Not much different than DWB is in some places. He put some real tiny LED's in his customized hood. You could hardly see them. Unless you were a cop whose eyes were automatically drawn to that Beretta. Think those lights only lasted a week
--
Vic.

re: "That's why it's probably best to just ask a traffic cop or two... "
...or three or four or more.
Being in a business where I have to call customer service organizations at a large number of different companies, I am very well tuned into the fact that 1 or even 2 calls isn't usually enough to get the right answer. Sometimes one rep is just plain wrong and other times a more savvy one will be a bit more creative is dealing with the issue.
When we start dealing with individuals such as police officers who not only have to deal with law but also have some leeway in how they apply it, I doubt you could get a 100% correct answer that you could rely on when the situation actually came up.
"But Officer Friendly said I could use a Suicide Knob. Why are you giving me a ticket?"
"I'm not Officer Friendly."
On Tue, 22 May 2012 10:54:44 -0500, Vic Smith

Here is NY's- xxxxx 1226. Control of steering mechanism. No person shall operate a motor vehicle without having at least one hand or, in the case of a physically handicapped person, at least one prosthetic device or aid on the steering mechanism at all times when the motor vehicle is in motion. xxxxxx
Officer Jones will contend that the know is not *the* steering mechanism. The judge gets the final word, but you day is shot by then.
Jim

Trucker brother said several of the guys he drove with had to remove their steering knobs when caught at weigh stations and equipment checks. They are apparently legal for physically handicapped in some incidences, but that is not on a commercial vehicle. Not sure about legality on cars - but likely open to interpretation - so better not to have the knucklebusters than have to argue with a cop about it. I sure hated having one on the tractor -handy in some cases, but awfull painfull if the wheel gets away on you on a furrow etc!!!!!
On Sun, 20 May 2012 17:43:29 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

Obviously some all-knowing state congress critters knew the world needed to be protected from them those dangerous spinner thing-a-ma-jigs. And because you weren't "all-knowing" enough to know that; you proved you are not qualified to be a congress-critter. Either that, or you're too qualified to be one of them.