So I Got My Steering Wheel Turning Knob

This was for the garden tractor because they're illegal for on road vehicles. Got it off the Internet and couldn't really see its dimensions.

How in hell can it fit on any steering wheel? It comes with skinny removable bottom plate. The bolts are so short, you couldn't attach it to any kind of steering wheel.

Reply to
Way Back Jack

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to never do business with that underhanded place!

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Just go down to your local police station, and ask them. They have the conversion kit, and instructions.

.

How in hell can it fit on any steering wheel? It comes with skinny removable bottom plate. The bolts are so short, you couldn't attach it to any kind of steering wheel.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Duct tape.

There are plenty of steering wheel spinners available on Ebay. Think farm tractor.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Better yet, go to any local farm supply store or the parts dept. at any place that sells tractors. No shipping, no waiting, no ebay hassles. They're not costly either.

Reply to
tangerine3

WHy are they illegal on on-road vehicles??

Reply to
hrhofmann

I was curious too. It varies by state apparently. There's a bit here about the Michigan law:

It's the first one I run across during a search. Handicapped people can use a variety of spinners.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Obviously some all-knowing state congress critters knew the world needed to be protected from them those dangerous spinner thing-a-ma-jigs. And because you weren't "all-knowing" enough to know that; you proved you are not qualified to be a congress-critter. Either that, or you're too qualified to be one of them.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I think hitting a spinner in a wreck could do some serious damage. Dad had them on his old farm tractors. These tractors didn't have power steering. Most of them were tricycle type with two wheels in the front. There was a lot of feedback from the wheels. One had to keep a good grip to hold the steering wheel. The best practice was to use the spinner only while turning. There wasn't much clearance between the steering wheels and the driver. The spinner could hit important body parts if one let the steering wheel go.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Because back in the 60's some pot smoking, beer drinking guy was balling a woman who was on his lap while he was driving. The spinner got stuck on the base of his c*ck. His c*ck was inserted in the woman, so it did not flex, and thus it caused a serious car crash. Both he and the woman died. Because of this, the government knew that these things were dangerous, and had to protect us from ourselves. This is the same reason we're forced to wear those death-traps called "seatbelts", which trap people in burning cars after a crash. As well as the reason we're forced to have GFCI outlets in bathrooms, because the government knows that people on drugs and alcohol like to put a plug in radio under the water in their bathtub while they bathe, so it sounds like they are at the ocean.

We are very dangerous people. None of us have any brains, except those in the government, who are all highly intelligent super beings. In fact they even have the "Central Intelligence Agency", which are the most intelligent persons on earth. Be sure to thank your government officials for caring so much about us, and for ending the natural process, where the weakest links in the chain of society are supposed to perish to prevent breeding more stupid people.

Reply to
tangerine3

Go to a dealer that sells that brand and get one with their logo.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Gordon Shumway wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

the steering wheels that USED to be used on cars were a lot skinnier than what's on today's vehicles. so the knob may have fit fine on those older cars but not on modern cars.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Dean Hoffman wrote in news:jpbrva$7j6$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

get longer bolts,make a plate to fit your wheel. it's a kludge anyways...

sarcasm,I like it.

all that have skinny steering wheels like the old cars that used to sport these spinner knobs.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I've always known them to be called Suicide Knobs.

According to this site, they are not illegal in any state:

I quote...

"State Laws: Searching through each state's statutes, there were no laws in the 50 states banning the use of steering wheel knobs on regular cars."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ah, somebody said so on the internet. Then somebody else - me - finds this on the internet.

RCW 46.37.375 Steering and suspension systems

(1) Construction of steering control system. The steering control system shall be constructed and maintained so that no components or attachments, including horn activating mechanism and trim hardware, can catch the driver's clothing or jewelry during normal driving maneuvers.

Now, nowhere is the word "spinner" or "knob" used. But anybody who's ever had a spinner - me, for example - knows they can catch a shirt sleeve. Bottom line - it's up to the cop. If he wants to give you a ticket, he can find a reason. I'm always polite to cops. Because I'm a polite guy. Not getting tickets is a side benefit of that.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I got stopped by the police about 20 years, agol, probably for speeding, on the Balt. beltway.

He wanted me to open my trunk -- I think he thought there would be horses inside and the extra horsepower enabled me to speed.

In the trunk was a big plain tan box on which was handwritten in magic marker "Loc. 64". The cop said to me, "Local 64". I siaid Uh huh,.. He smiled and sent me on my way without a ticket.

Actually, it stood for "Location 64". The computer room and the printer for the computer programmers was in another building, and several times a day, someone would deliver computer program listings and results to each room in the main building where programmers worked (and I guess to the executives and staff who ran programs that were "in production". . My room was location 64. Should I go back and explain this to the policeman? Or should I complain that he shows favoritism to union members?

Reply to
micky

Good one. Maybe you weren't even speeding. Maybe he did it because he didn't want flak from his wife, who actually did work for Local 64. You'll never know. One time I did some outrageous stuff - speeding, improper lane use, and blowing a red. Chicago - north side, on Diversey Ave. Then I pulled into a 7-11 to get milk before the squad chasing me could get their lights on. I saw them coming. As I non-chalantly walked to the door of the store, the squad squealed into the lot, 2 cops got out, and the young one yelled at me "Hey, come here!" He was mad as hell. The older one told him "Hey, I'll take care of this." He asks me why I just did all that bad stuff. I just told him the truth. "The guy I passed was doing 20, cost me a couple lights, and I got pissed. Sorry, I know it was wrong. I just got hired for a new job, and want to get a gallon of milk, get home, and hug my wife. He was slowing me down bad." The young tall cop was behind the old cop, scowling. I know he wanted to cuff me. So the old cop says, "Got a new job? Cool. I'm retiring next week myself." I say, "That's great! Whatcha gonna do?" He says, "I bought a small dairy farm in Ladysmith, Wisconsin. I'm going there." Now Ladysmith is probably known by 10 people in the city of Chicago. I happened to be one of them. "No shit," I say, "That's real nice country. I go by there all the time on the way to Grindstone to fish for Musky." Anyway, we start talking Ladysmith and fishing. The young cop got a look of pure disgust on his face, and stomped off to go sit in the squad. We talked a few more minutes, I promised to not do it again, we wished each other luck, they left, I got my milk and went home to hug my wife. I kept my promise - in that territory anyway, and sometimes wondered how it went for the cop up in Ladysmith. I hope it went well for him. He saved me a lot of money and maybe my license. I never had problems with cops. Just respect them as you expect, and tell the truth. Sure, I've run across a few pricks. BFD.

Reply to
Vic Smith

It's always been my understanding that the "they're illegal" was always a wives tale. I know several people who have them on their trucks.

Reply to
Steve Barker

=A0There's a bit

Perhaps it's an old wife's tale, but Vic's post that states that anything that can catch on clothing would be illegal could be construed to include Suicide Knobs even if they are not specifically mentioned by name in any state law.

I guess that would depend on what you wear - seriously. I guess if you could prove that you always wear spandex and that no one else ever drives your car, then a suicide knob on a steering would (should) be allowed. I'm being slight facetious, but there does seem to be some gray area in Vic's cite.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That was just one state, Washington. I found that law cited on a trucker site. I think he just got a warning from an inspector. This is a pretty good link for vehicle equipment for different states.

I looked at 6-7 states expecting to find similar laws. Nope. So it probably is an old-wives-tale.

That's why it's probably best to just ask a traffic cop or two if you're going to do anything silly. They'll tell you if you could get a ticket. Truckers still use spinners. Different deal. Spinners are silly to me because I drive modern cars with power steering and little bitty but thick upholstered steering wheels. I only had them on old cars with no power steering, and big plastic skinny steering wheels that had to be cranked a lot and could also get slick with sweat, because the cars/trucks had no A/C. Without PS they had higher ratio steering boxes, and it might take a couple full turns on the wheel to max your turn, like when parking. That spinner could rap your wrist bone pretty good when the wheel spun back too. I don't know about them now, but the ones I had a latch so you could flip the knob inside the wheel and out of the way. My son had a red Beretta he tricked out and I kept after him to tone it down because the cops were always stopping him for nothing except being a cop magnet. Not much different than DWB is in some places. He put some real tiny LED's in his customized hood. You could hardly see them. Unless you were a cop whose eyes were automatically drawn to that Beretta. Think those lights only lasted a week

Reply to
Vic Smith