Snowthrower won't throw snow

I have an MTD 21" snowthrower. Starts fine. About 5 years old, 2 cycle engine. Today the auger stopped spinning. I replaced the V belt- it was cracked in two places so I was sure that was the problem. It wasn't. When I engage the control handle to start the auger spinning, it spins very slowly and not with enough power to throw out any snow. Any ideas of what else could be the problem? Maybe a cracked pulley?
On 7 Dec 2003 19:31:30 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@juno.com (JB in CT) wrote:

Shear pins?
Jim
Yep sounds like shear pins to me too. If it isnt them ck the belt adjustment. I had a Toro come into me once that the impeller bearing was so worn out the belt couldn''t be set at the right adjustment.