Snowblowers

Page 1 of 2
Does anyone have experience with Troy built snowblowers. Lowes sells them and they seem to be built better than the other brands that I've seen?
Thanks
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 21:29:16 GMT, "houseslave"

My brother bought a Troy-bilt today from Sam's Club. The details and some non-engine parts are identical to my Craftsman. It looks like another Murray, Yard-Man, Craftsman, etc... product to me.
Some parts are actually interchangeable.
Barry
Barry,
Lowes is selling a 7.5hp model (the only one that Troy unit makes with this engine) for 799.99. Do you know what your brother paid? On the Sam Club's webpage they are advertising a 10hp garden way for 740.00....I don't know if you get this in the store.

get a motor with pressurised lubrication, and a steel sleeve. Techumsee are known crap
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 00:08:09 GMT, "houseslave"

That's the one! The machine is identical to some Craftsman machines.
FWIW, Sam's assembly was so good, the auger control handle FELL OFF on the interstate while I was transporting the machine to his house. <G>
Check yours carefully.
Barry
Barry,
I'm still confused. Did he get the 7.5 hp for 799.99 or the 10hp for another price?
Thanks
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 13:19:26 GMT, "houseslave"

10HP - $740 ish
Barry
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 13:31:04 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .

If they are really MTD machines like the other posters said, stay far away. Spend a couple of hundred more and get a real machine.
Jimmy wrote:

I always thought MTD was near junk. Never owned any. Tony
That's a great deal. I'm too lazy to return mine and get the 10HP at Sams. I guess I'm stuck with my 7.5hp Troy Built.

Engines on all these models are common, either B&S or Tecumseh snow king. The rest of the blower you need to look at. The Murray I bought in '97 is spot-welded along the drum, I'd look for something where the entire seem was welded. Also, the up/down adjustment of the chute needs to be manually adjusted where I know n MTD's they are operated at the controls. The light and chains were extra, check what comes with the Troy Built. One more thing, check the smaller lawnmower/blower places around you and what manufacturers they do service on. All should do work on the simialar engines. It may help to buy that same brand that the local service places work on as Lowe's/Sams/Home Depot dont do any kind service.
--
John

"houseslave" < snipped-for-privacy@netzero.net> wrote in message
houseslave wrote:

They are MTD's in disquise. They bought TroyBilt when they went belly up.
Because of past 'we know better then you' attitude from MTD, I would use a manual snow removel device before I bought anything by MTD.
The only thing TroyBuilt on them is the name. The are designed and built by MTD. That does not make them any better, but TroyBuilt was really good, and the few products that are still made from the original designs are good, but the rest are just run of the mill.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Stop the presses don't buy it it is a piece of crap. 3 years ago Troybilt went out of business and no one picked them up. I know this because i bought their 10hp 26 inch snowblower right before they went out. They had no one to warranty anything after that. The next year MTD picked them up and put the Troybilt name on their Kmart quaility , Lowes quality snowblower. Why Troybilt would sell their quality known name to a piece of junk company I don't understand at all. Most of the Troybilt dealers won' even carry them anymore because they are junk. Save yourself some real agro and get an Ariens or Toro. At least you know you'll be able to get the parts if you need them.Or maybe you could find an old dealer that has a leftover real Troybilt around. You can still get parts for them now.

They didn't. Once they went bankrupt, they did not have a nickel (no pun intended) in it. MTD would have reached an agreement with the bankruptcy courts to buy what was left.
MTD seems to be promoting and selling the Troybilt name just fine. There are also hundreds of service centers are the country. How many Arien commercials have you seen lately? What makes you think that Ariens won't go out of business. The Troybilt name is a name of prestige and is well known so I doubt that it will go away. And it did survive a bankruptsy too. I'm not that concerned about parts since MTD is still promoting the company and distributing the Troybilt name through Lowes and other retial centers. The Troybuilt also seems to be built better then any other snowblower I've seen for under 800.00. The deal at Sams sounds like you get more for your money but I'm not sure of the quality of a Gardenway brand or service. While MTD may own different divisions and make several snoblowers under different names they all are made different and some are of higher quality then others.
houseslave wrote: The Troybilt name is a name of

Troybilt did not survive bankruptcy. If they had, MTD would not own the name. MTD is using the good name that Troybilt created, and that they 'bought' at what amounts to a going-out-of-business sale.
They did survive because the name and product line still lives on. MTD thought there was value in the name and liked the product line. Yes they went belly up. So did 7-11, Zenith and many more companies because of poor management. Like I said, I'm not worried about parts since Lowes and hundreds of other retail locations service Troybilt. You should checkout the machine it is a very well built unit with a many nice features.

Hi, You mean original Troybilt and MTD built Troybilt is same in quality? Tony
houseslave wrote:

Today they are.
--
Joseph E. Meehan