Snowblower Won't Start. Try Gum-Out, Or... ?

Hello:

Tried to get my Ariens (quite Old) snowblower working today, to make sure it runs before actually needing it.

Wouldn't start. All that happens is lots of really dirty, somewhat blue, exhaust comes out. No sounds like it wants to catch. Oil level is fine.

Replaced the plug; no change.

Was wondering -

Is it (most) likely to be a gummed up carb. ?

If so, should I pour a can (or whatever am't is recommended) of Gum-Out into the snowblowers gas tank, and try cranking again ?

Have never used Gum-Out. Is this the way to use it in this situation?

Any other suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

today, to make sure it

exhaust comes out.

Was the unit run dry before storage? The blue smoke sounds like it is firing, but you say "no sounds like it wants to catch". Is it firing? Blue smoke suggests oil burning. Did you use 2 stroke fuel? Tip the unit wrong? Squirt oil in for storage? Have you tried priming it with a little gas in the carb? Checked that the chole is working correctly?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

For a prime a squirt of carburetor cleaner into the air intake often gets it going. Often use it in cold weather for balky engines.

Reply to
Rich256

Clean the sparkplug. Use some starting fluid (ether) and see if it'll start.

Try using premium gasoline in it. I don't know why, but premium seems to work better [than regular] in a slightly gummed up engine until the carb gets cleaned out a little by the fresh gas.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob