Snowblower Storage - Is this Safe?

Call friends and neighbors. Someone out there must have some small engine experience.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Take the cowling off and see where it is leaking. Get a knowledgeable neighbor to take a peek and possibly tighten something to stop the leak. If they kinked the diaphragm gasket it might take a little talent to fix it. Maybe they just didn't tighten the diaphragm cover.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

It sounds as if you have a Tecumseh carb. I do also, on my Toro (which is a gas oil mixer). I cut some fuel line out, and put an inline fuel filter. The problem I had, the old gas had some specks of black floating around, and the machine would clog and stop running. The fuel filter was one of the best things I've done, repair wise.

I'd be sure to ask for them to cut some fuel line out, and install a fuel filter.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Mine, also. electric or pull. Usually only need the electric for the first start of the season.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If the float is stuck and leaking, the carb may be so flooded it won't run. Might have to pull the spark plug, and give it a yank on the starter, to blow the excess gasoline out the spark hole.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'd rather be safe, in a moment like this. The inside of the motor housing is probably wet wtih gas, and full of fumes.

When looking into the gas tank, use a flash light not a candle. (smile here).

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I had to move it outside. The fumes were getting into my home when stored inside my garage. I moved it to the shed, and after one hour the odor was horrible.

Thanks for the tips. I need all the help I can get. LOL

Reply to
Kate

I love this group. Thanks.

Reply to
Kate

"Dirt" affecting the "needle" won't make a carb leak.

Still, I'm reminded of a cartoon where an auto mechanic is showing a part taken from a doctor's Mercedes to the owner. The mechanic is saying: "There's a lot we still don't understand about carburetors..."

Reply to
HeyBub

Or enough experience to spot a loose part.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I'd be happy to look at it. You near Rochester, NY?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Tecumseh carbs use a needle and seat, to allow gas into the float bowl. If there is dirt in the needle / seat, the gasoline can flow into the carb, and out the air cleaner.

(Voice of experience.)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sounding more like dirt in the fuel, and the needle and seat isn't closing properly. Fairly simple fix.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

-snip-

It can- but it is also likely, since they said they rebuilt the carb, that the new guy got the spring clip wrong;

I wonder how much Kate paid them to screw up a rebuild- and how much less it would have been to just replace the carb.

good one

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Can't we just shut off the fuel supply line? If the blower fuel line, has such a valve..

Reply to
Oren

This little machine starts right up on the first push (electric start). I will do further research. Thanks.

Reply to
Kate

Ah your are sweet. No, Washington State.

Reply to
Kate

Oren

You really need to seal the firewall between the house and the garage. If some gas fumes can leak into the house and be noticed then carbon monoxide can easily get in too and fire could easily penetrate the wall into the house. Most building codes require the wall and/or ceiling to be reasonably sealed with a one hour firebreak. If your local building code neglects this specification, it is something you should do on your own for your family's safety.

Reply to
EXT

The smaller ones, I don't think they have a shut off. The other plan is to wire the handle and let it run dry, a couple days from now.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon