Snowblower Storage - Is this Safe?

Page 2 of 3

Kate wrote:

"Dirt" affecting the "needle" won't make a carb leak.
Still, I'm reminded of a cartoon where an auto mechanic is showing a part taken from a doctor's Mercedes to the owner. The mechanic is saying: "There's a lot we still don't understand about carburetors..."
Tecumseh carbs use a needle and seat, to allow gas into the float bowl. If there is dirt in the needle / seat, the gasoline can flow into the carb, and out the air cleaner.
(Voice of experience.)
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

It can- but it is also likely, since they said they rebuilt the carb, that the new guy got the spring clip wrong; http://www.williammaloney.com/Misc/TecumsehSnowblowerLawnmowerEngineFloods.htm
I wonder how much Kate paid them to screw up a rebuild- and how much less it would have been to just replace the carb.

good one
Jim

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/smi0024l.jpg

Oh, it most certainly WILL. She's talking about the float needle. If that doesn't close and seat fully, the bowl floods and the overflow runs out.
Kate wrote:

Worrying is good... but snow blowers love the cold-- just like sled dogs or polar bears. Put it behind your house to minimize drive-by opportunistic burglary. Chain it to a big tree in you're concerned about theft.
But don't put a tarp over it as another poster said. The fumes from the leaking gas will become trapped and concentrated making the potential for a huge explosion...

Nonsense.

Agree. About the only way an explosion would occur would be by poking a match under the tarp...I suppose if it is an electric start some dimbulb might try to start it withoug removing the tarp first..
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

It is an electric start. I will move it outside. Thanks.

I would put it outside, but cover it partly, leave the bottom edges open so the fumes can blow around, but keep it covered enuf so that rain/snow doesn't get on/into it. Then, if you have to start it before Jan 4, take the cover off and let it ventilate for about a minute or so to waft away the gasoline fumes and then plug it in and start it.. Take a look before you put it outside and see if you can tell where the leak is coming from. Taking the whole carburetor apart may be nonsense if it is simply the screws in the gas line or the nut on the bottom of the carburetor that needs tightening. However, if there is dirt inside the bowl that is keeping the float needle valve from closing when the bowl fills with gasoline, then the bowl needs to come off. But, that can be done without taking the whole carburetor off the engine. I would sure try to find an alternate fixer, if you live in a rural area, there must be some handymen/women around who help their friends out rather than a two-hour drive.
If the float is stuck and leaking, the carb may be so flooded it won't run. Might have to pull the spark plug, and give it a yank on the starter, to blow the excess gasoline out the spark hole.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

This little machine starts right up on the first push (electric start). I will do further research. Thanks.

Whimp! It is only leaking 2 tablespoons a day. That isn't much at all. Gas vaporates VERY rapidly. 2 tablespoons would burn ( in the slim chance it cought fire) so quickly that nothing else would be affected. Put a wide mouth glass jar under it to catch the gas. The wide mouth will let it evaporate quicker. Hell, a saucer might even be better. You won't have any problems.
In regards to the leak. They probably didn't clean your carb correctly or they didn't clean your fuel system (gas tank and lines). If dirt got inside your carb, there is dirt/rust in your tank or some foreign material in your tank. when you get the carb cleaned again, make sure they clean the whole system. Look inside your tank a the bottom, is there rust? Debris? Anything but gas?
Hank
I'd rather be safe, in a moment like this. The inside of the motor housing is probably wet wtih gas, and full of fumes.
When looking into the gas tank, use a flash light not a candle. (smile here).
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Hustlin' Hank wrote:

I had to move it outside. The fumes were getting into my home when stored inside my garage. I moved it to the shed, and after one hour the odor was horrible.
Thanks for the tips. I need all the help I can get. LOL
Mine, also. electric or pull. Usually only need the electric for the first start of the season.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I don't see an explosion happening- but a tarp over a snowblower is unnecessary, promotes rust and gives a great dark place for rodents to nest and mess up your machinery.
Jim
Red wrote:

Wow, thanks for all the great replies.
I am taking it out of the shed.
Kate wrote:

No, it isn't safe. It probably won't catch fire, but do you want to take that chance?
Imagine there is a fire, and the insurance company finds out that you were aware of a fitting leaking gasoline. Do you think they have a clause in your policy exempting them from indemnity if you are aware of such a situation?
Drain the gas from the tank, and find another company to do the repair. Post a note in your local Craigslist with the name of the company that returned your equipment dripping gasoline just before they went on vacation for two weeks.
Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

The OP might think so but I sure don't.
Don