Snowblower Problem Question ?

ne going full bore, you're gonna get hurt.

owers with the toe of your boot.

My 3 year old 10hp has a throttle.

Or tie down the clutch control. I _have_ done that. But even that may not show a sheared pin. There can be enough friction in the shaft/ impellor hole to keep it turning under 'no load'.

Usenet phenomenon - once the stupid starts flowing it just keeps on keep on :)

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

ne going full bore, you're gonna get hurt.

owers with the toe of your boot.

I just called the dealer where I bought my Arien's Sno-Tek. He said that once you get above the 7HP range and units in the Arien's Deluxe quality range, you start seeing machines with throttle controls. Not all of the bigger machines have throttle controls, but they are available.

Hard to say which pin-shearing "homeowner-grade snowblowers" boot-guy is talking about, but regardless, I'm not sticking any body part, clothed or unclothed, into a moving auger. In fact, I'm not purposely sticking *anything* into a moving auger, especiallly not to prove a point.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

not moving snow to the middle for pick-up and are just snug enough to turn when not under load.

Which is why it PAYS to buy complex equipment from an authourized bricks and mortar dealer who knows the product, assembles it and tests it, and hopefully values you as a customer.

Reply to
clare

going full bore, you're gonna get hurt.

snowblowers with the toe of your boot.

So does my brand new 6 horse Yamaha

Reply to
clare

going full bore, you're gonna get hurt.

snowblowers with the toe of your boot.

Except a big pile of cold white stuff

Reply to
clare

ngine going full bore, you're gonna get hurt.

wblowers with the toe of your boot.

I don't stick the cold white stuff into the auger, I stick the auger into the cold white stuff.

That's what all the videos on the internet show, so it must be right.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

gine going full bore, you're gonna get hurt.

blowers with the toe of your boot.

Well, I _did_ shove the auger into a re-bar stake holding the garage door. Turned that half of the auger into a pretzel and did not shear the pin.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

going full bore, you're gonna get hurt.

snowblowers with the toe of your boot.

And it had the proper shear pin installed? and the auger was not siezed to the shaft??? I hit a frozen wrapped newspaper with my old canadiana 5/26 and took out a shear pin., and I could blow the frozen snow plough ridges without breaking shear pins.

I like the shear pins on my new Yamaha - they are 1/4"X1/2" bolts that fasten a tab on the shaft to a tab on the auger. Real easy to change

Reply to
clare

The worst I ever did was suck up a vinyl coated steel dog cable. As soon as I saw it pulled up out of the snow I released the auger lever.

The cable tangled itself up in the auger but I was able to thread through in the reverse direction to get it out.

The cable was attached to a tie down so I was lucky I stopped the auger before the cable got really taut.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Seriously, rebar holding the garage door? WTF!

The guy I used to work with did that to the facility's blower auger...he ordered a new set and told me to repair it! I have his job now.

Reply to
Bob_Villa

engine going full bore, you're gonna get hurt.

nowblowers with the toe of your boot.

e quoted text -

I had the same thing happen with my Sears. It never ocurred to me that the newspaper delivery came after some snow was already falling. It got buried and took out the shear bolt.

Reply to
trader4

engine going full bore, you're gonna get hurt.

nowblowers with the toe of your boot.

Dunno what was in there. That was a basket case that I rescued.

Now _that_ makes a lot of sense! That shear pin behind the impellor is almost impossibel to get a drift punch on to reove the remains (mine was a rusted off roll pin). I bought a new and much bigger blower when that happened rather than the fight it would take to get at the thing...and I wanted a nic toy anyow :)

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

ordered a new set and told me to repair it! I have his job now.

Was a double door slider, stake driven in at the midpoint to keep the doors against the building. Of course it was driven in at a bit of an angle.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

engine going full bore, you're gonna get hurt.

snowblowers with the toe of your boot.

Likely a grade 5 (or even 8) bolt!!

Reply to
clare

Gee, has no one on this group heard of a mirror?

Reply to
Larry Weil

I've heard of a mirror. In fact, I brought it up about 35 posts ago.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yeah, but the last time I brought the snowblower into the bedroom to use it, my wife got really pissed.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Won't show a thing if that impellor isn't under load. Friction will have it moving.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Should have used it in the bathroom to throw TP?

.

Yeah, but the last time I brought the snowblower into the bedroom to use it, my wife got really pissed.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Or Mormon diapers?

Reply to