Snowblower maintenance question

I'm doing my annual snowblower maintenance this weekend... aside from the usual oil change, spark plug, shear pins, etc... is there anything else I should be doing?

It's a ~25 yr old Arien's dual stage snow blower that I bought used a few years ago... 5 foward, 1 reverse gearbox, 5.5 Tecumseh Snow-King engine, etc.

It runs like a champ - but I'm wondering if there are other areas I should be giving attention to?

Thanks!

Reply to
Les Wilson

If it's like my 40 year old Airens and uses a friction drive "transmission", you might want to flip it up, remove the bottom plate and eyeball the rubber on the driven wheel to make sure it's not nearly worn out. Comparing its outside diameter to that of a new one is an easy way to check that.

And, while it's open if you see an exposed chain in the drive train, give it a few shots of spray can chain lube.

Give the drive belt a look see too, and have a spare on hand, you never know when they'll decide to give out.

The lube in the gear box at the center of the auger should get checked once a season.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Like Jeff said, rubber friction wheel drive. The rubber wears off after a couple of years, depending on use, so check it out. Lube the chute where it pivots on the blower housing to. I use 80-90 weight gear lube for this, and drive chain. Also the hex shaft that the drive wheel slide on could use some lube too. After time the oil and grease turns to thick goo and it will shift hard. Good idea to remove the wheels and grease to hubs and axles, if you can! The wheel hubs get rusted onto the axles after time, then when you need to remove then for a repair you have a big job on your hands! Those older Ariens blowers are great machines. I had one twenty years ago, wish I never sold it! Greg

Reply to
Greg O