Snowblower does not blow snow far enough

I have a snowblower that I bought used. I put in a new HMSK-80 engine last year. It worked great for a while, and then for some reason, instead of blowing snow far as it used to do, it blew snow not very far, like 4-5 feet instead of maybe 10-20 feet before.
That happened last year on the last pile of snow, so could not check much more, but this year it is happening again.
Why could that be? It is a Bolens 24" two stage snowblower.
Forgot to say, the engine is running great.

Belt slipping? -- if it's belt driven. Our previous church was given one by another church. It didn't work very well, and when I investigated, I found that the belt had been installed the wrong side of the idler pulley.
Perce
On 01/05/05 05:17 pm Ignoramus584 tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

The type of snow can have a huge impact on how far it gets thrown. Dry snow throws easier and farther.
BB

snow
Something similar happened to me last year with my relatively new John Deere. I found that the drive belt had loosened and the impeller wasn't running at full speed, therefore, throwing the snow only a short distance.
--
Mark
Pepperell, MA

That can of course also cause the symptom. I was always taught that when you hear hoofbeats, you should look for horses before you look for zebras.
BB
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 23:16:01 GMT, BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com

Thanks guys. The hypothesis about belt slipping is definitely worth investigating. At least I can do something about that, it is conctrollable , unlike wetness of snow.
You can also coat the inside surfaces (blade, chute, inner walls) with silicone spray so that the snow flies off instead of hangs up.
--

Christopher A. Young
This space intentionally left blank

I use Pam (no-stick spray for pans).
--
Bill

This was 100% a belt tension issue. The belt was not tensioned and I did all I could to tension it a bit more. That helped a lot and I blowed snow. Now it blows it like 10 feet away, and I know that it could do better than that. This belt is old and cracked and, I suppose, lengthened a bit. I do have new belts lying somewhere, which I bought last year, will try putting them in.