Snow shovels

I piched one of those up this fall too. Works pretty good for a small accumulation of wet snow on the driveway, but on a 60X120 corner lot it takes a lot of cord to do the sidewalk, and with basically a thraight throw pattern it's a lot of work to do a 20X40 driveway and the "apron" on the boulevard.

Reply to
clare

Actually, with the weight of the snow and shovel below the pivot point where your hand is half way down the handle, it is MORE stable than a straight handle. Pretty hard for the snow load to tip the shovel when I lift it - unlike a straight shovel.

What I will NEVER own again is either a steel or aluminum snow "pusher" shovel.

The simple physics works exactly opposite, in my experience, as explained above.

Reply to
clare

The vast majority of plastic shovels up here have no metal edge, and towards the end of the winter or after a particularly heavy dump, the ones WITH the edge are the only ones available,

Steel (pusher type snow) shovels are almost non-existant, and the steel-edged aluminum ones are dissapearing from our local market quite markedly over the last few years since the plastic ones have gotten so much better than they used to be. My aluminum ones seldom lasted 2 full seasons, and aluminum or steel, they always got the edge bent and torn.

The plastics just keep right on going. They get a little lower after a couple of years, and the angle where it contacts the sidewalk gets a bit less optimal. Then I throw them away and get another one. (3 or 4 years)

Reply to
clare

People try to pivot the blade to toss snow to the side. That's bad form and can get you hurt. It's much harder with the crooked shovel, but shouldn't be done at all.

I have a steel one I liked a lot. It's heavy as hell, but it's not designed to lift snow. It works great as a pusher. Of course now I only use it to sweep up sawdust (and a few weeks ago, pine bark mulch). ;-)

Reply to
krw

That's what I use. I avoid metal edges. They stop dead when they hit a sidewalk crack. They edges don't last anyway. Straight handle, flat blade with just a little side edge. I push snow to the sidewalk edges, then toss it while facing where I want it to go straight on, with sort of a flip. Consider that a separate operation. Mostly arm movement, never stressed my back. The big trick is to think about it a bit and don't hurry. Have fun with it. I don't like the scoop type. Gets too heavy and the snow compacts in the scoop. If it's wet snow it sticks, making it harder to flip out.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

I saw that. Even watched the video.

Thought it was crazy. Still do. But it gets good reviews. Might work for people with particular back problems. If it wasn't so big - and was cheaper to buy - I wouldn't mind trying it just for kicks For now though I'll take a pass.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

... Major Snippage ...

I watch the video and here are my thoughts:

It doesn't seem like it would work well on narrow driveways where you are shoveling from side to side. Heck, if you include the operator it's almost as wide as a single car driveway. There would no room to maneuver across the width of a narrow area.

It doesn't seem like it would work for short people. Once the handle was adjusted to be comfortable for pushing, I don't know that you get enough leverage to throw the snow very far.

I'm not sure what you would do once the piles get high, like the ones on both sides of the EOD. I can left a shovel and either toss the snow high or carry it around the pile. I'm not how you handle that with the Sno Wovel.

Just my thoughts...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That must be what I would call an electric shovel. [and who knows what it is supposed to be called] My electric blower is 18" wide & has a chute that adjusts from left to right-- or if you want to throw the snow 40, feet- straight ahead.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Thanks for your observations - I'll certainly bear them in mind.

It's 72 degrees in Houston; it may be awhile.

Reply to
HeyBub

Only three remained. The steel edge was worn. So as a test I drilled out the remaining rivets. Next storm I tried it and then put it out for trash pickup.

But they have nothing to do with the edge on a shovel. Did you ever remember seeing advertising buy this snow shovel *because* it has a steel edge?

The steel edge is a good design and it works.

Every one I have seen is galvanized steel. I don't doubt there is an aluminum big box version.

Reply to
George

Because this is a discussion group and we are discussing things? What are you hoping to prove? No one has ever disagreed with you before?

Reply to
George

I bought one like that at an industrial supply house a long time ago. Same shape as a snowplow blade. Really heavy and phenomenal when there is freezing rain/slushy/frozen conditions.

Essentially it is like having a big steel edge.

Reply to
George

The only "good" ones had carbon steel blades.

Reply to
clare

*

How can you "disagree" with an actual event? *My* shovel works just fine on all surfaces without the strip. That's all I've said all along. *My* shovel works just fine on all surfaces without the strip.

What is there to discuss or disagree with? It's not an opinion as to whether *my* shovel works just fine on all surfaces without the strip because - wait for it - *my* shovel works just fine on all surfaces without the strip.

Reply to
DerbyDad03