Snow guards

We live in a very snowy area (Muskoka Ontario.) Part of our roof is steeply pitched and almost every spring, the snow cascades off the roof with a mighty roar and takes out part of the railing on the deck below. It's a pain.. I have installed several angle brackets on the roof about 20 inches apart. Each sticks up about 6 inches. Will this offer enough resistance to keep the snow from sliding off in one huge chunk or should I also lay a board across the brackets.
ds
How old is your present roof? If you replaced it with a metal roof, the snow should fall off as if falls in small pieces that would not damage your railing.
I don't live in an area of that much snow, but as I understand it, the devices are suppose to break up the snow so it comes down in smaller hunks and is less likely to do damage. I would think your board would defeat the concept.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:26:55 +0000, Joseph Meehan wrote:

You may be right, but an old time slater said their purpose was to let the snow come of the roof slowly. When the snow lets go all at once, it can take things with it that are supposed to stay on the roof, like the slates. To the OP, there's only one way to tell if the brackets will be enough. You can always add the board later.