Snow Cover On Roof Provides Wind Protection?

Page 10 of 16
On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 12:00:44 -0600, AZ Nomad

Not even remotely the same thing.
Add pictures here
✖

And you were there in each and every case? People occasionally stomp on the wrong pedal. It happens every week all the time. The only thing different now is the media hysteria.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 14:08:01 -0600, AZ Nomad

The only hysteria evident is yours.
The Toyotas, when they "run away" seem to do it while the driver is just cruising along, sometimes already at highway speeds. Has nothing to do with a foot hitting the gas pedal rather than the brake pedal. In fact, part of the problem is that at 70-80 MPH with both feet standing on the brakes, you can't stop the vehicle.
This has been widely reported.
The problem with Audis would happen when the car was being moved from a standing position because of the size and position of the pedals making it easy to push the wrong one without realizing it.
Also widely reported.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 1, 3:21 pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

re: "In fact, part of the problem is that at 70-80 MPH with both feet standing on the brakes, you can't stop the vehicle."
I'm admittingy tossing out "partial information" here, since I can't cite the source.
The other I heard a gentleman who was being interviewed on the radio - who I believe was a spokesman from some Auto Safety organization - who stated:
"In any passenger vehicle, even the weakest set of brakes is more powerful than the strongest engine. There is no reason that a driver should not be able to stop a Toyota when it exhibits the run-away problem. The key is to not panic, apply the brakes, shift into neutral and pull to the side of the road."
Sounds easy enough. ;-)
Add pictures here
✖
DerbyDad03 wrote:

that quote doesn't imply the brakes will stop the car without being in neutral. the brakes won't stop the car if, in fact, it is in gear and accelerating (or at least once the breaks start slipping due to overheating), it won't.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 14:48:34 -0700, chaniarts

Yes it will, but probably no more than two times. The engine is no match for the brakes.
Add pictures here
✖

That has been my understanding in the past, but I'm not so sure about some of the newer cars from all that I've read. I'll have to try it on my wife's car since it won't work on mine. When I push both the gas and brake at the same time, the engine goes to idle no matter the speed. When stopped, it it like being in neutral if I hold the brake down.
Add pictures here
✖
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Dang, you can't even do "line lock" burnouts!
Add pictures here
✖

Nope, those days are gone. Shame since it is a Sonata Limited with the 249 hp V-6 It will beat a lot of so called muscle cars and has a top speed of 137 mph. I have no problem getting to 70 on the on-ramp.
Add pictures here
✖

Any muscle cars that a Sonata could beat would definitely have the qualifier "so called" in front of the term "muscle car".
Add pictures here
✖

Evidently you've not driven the newer V-6. I forget the auto mag that did the test where it beat a Camero in the quarter mile.
Add pictures here
✖

Then obviously the Camaro was not a real muscle car, either.
Perky, zippy, peppy... sure. Muscle car? LOL!
Add pictures here
✖
-snip-

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/test-driving-toyota-9917789
At about 1:21 Brian Ross says "Brakes don't work". At 2:50 he expands on that a bit. The brakes did not work.

And yet all these folks with runaway cars say [the survivors] they stood on the brakes to no avail.
Put the car in neutral- then you should be able to stop quickly- then turn it off. ?Easy to write-- probably takes some control to pull off in real life.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖

Correct. They were stomping on the accelerator as hard as they could thinking it was the brakes. If they were stomping on the brakes, the car would have stopped.
Add pictures here
✖

People confuse the pedals all the time. I doubt they had time to look down and verify the pedals while they were panicing.
Happens several times every week in a country the size of the U.S. Only difference now is the hysteria over it. Just like 10 years ago with the audis. The runaway audi's were all people stoping on the wrong pedal.
Add pictures here
✖

re: " The runaway audi's were all people stoping on the wrong pedal."
Just so I'm clear on this...
Are you saying that there is no problem with the Toyotas? It's all user error?
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 19:07:41 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

He's pretty goofy about the Audi situation as well. It was determined to be a design flaw in the Audi's that had to be corrected. The pedals in the Audi were positioned offset far to the left in relation to the steering wheel, and were all at the same height. The gas pedal was about where you would find the brake pedal on most cars. This was further complicated by the design of the underside of the dashboard, which made it so that you could never see the pedals while sitting up in the seat, to learn where they were visually.
In other words, a design defect.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 19:07:41 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

It is when they go for several miles (or even a mile) and then hit something. Even IF there is a malfunction, only driver error accounts for that.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 2, 11:37 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I can't argue with that!
Add pictures here
✖

Ah, but I have been called stupid for sayign the deaths were driver's fault. Of course I wasn't careful enough to distinguish between teh cause of the runaway (Toyota) and the cause of death (driver). Didn't make it simple enough for them.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖