Snow Cover On Roof Provides Wind Protection?

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote: ...

I'll just not ride w/ you if you're driving is as out of touch as your belief in no failures, ok?

--

Reply to
dpb

As if you expect need for the engine to be more than idling when the brakes are applied?

Don Klipstein

When I was a teenager, I was driving the family '67 Chrysler aircraft carrier when the throttle return spring broke on the big 383 V8. I cut the ignition, pulled over to the side of the road, opened the hood, fixed it with a pair of pliers and went on my way. If it had happened to my mother or one of my sisters, the outcome may have been different. I'm not picking on women but my aunt was driving down a highway when she saw a wrong way driver coming straight at her, she let go of the wheel, covered her face and started screaming. My male cousin grabbed the wheel and steered the car to safety. Perhaps drivers education classes should take a hint from aircraft pilot training and train for the inevitable odd mechanical or human brain failure.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I once owned a couple of Renault 10 shoe boxes, 1730 pounds of screaming 4 cylinder terror. The cars had 4 wheel disk brakes and the "emergency brake" was a cable operated cam mechanism that squeezed the rear calipers. It was a true emergency brake as opposed to a "parking brake". Those were the weirdest most fun vehicles I ever owned except for the Renault 16.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Unless you've dropped it on the floor? What happens then?, or if the passenger grabs it and throws it to the back seat.

I can see that too. I don't seem to panic, but otoh, I may be too calm and slow during emergencies. Other people panic. I'd be scared for sure if the car was speeding up.

I'm still not good at hanging up my cordless phone (I have two slightly different models with the buttons arranged differently), or my cell phone, or turning off the cell phone.

I was thinking about the car thing. At 60 MPH, a mile a minute, 3 seconds is enough to go 264 feet. I would much rather have a key, which turns off the ignition in my car in under a fifth of a second, more like 20 feet.

Reply to
mm

AIUI, the dealer is very sorry the family is dead.

Reply to
mm

I was interested for my next car in a Solara convertible, but a guy on the radio with a used car lot and shop told how one of them pinned itself and almost pinned his mechanic against the wall.

Reply to
mm

I only learned two or three things in my 18 months lin law school and one was that were it not for fear of law suits, a lot of people would be incredibly negligent. We have one or two people like that in this thread.

Reply to
mm

The primary cause was auto failure.

Who was negligent? The dealership.

It would have been great if the driver had found something that worked, but there is no evidence he was negligent, and nothing you've said even if true has suggested it.

Reply to
mm

"mm" wrote in

It has to be within 20 feet of the car. If it is tossed out the window, the engine will stop.

After these incidents, cars may go back to that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'm just trying to make my logic match that of others here.

Reply to
salty

Any muscle cars that a Sonata could beat would definitely have the qualifier "so called" in front of the term "muscle car".

Reply to
salty

Okay, how many of the items above do YOU practice dealing with on a regular basis.

And by practice, I mean, replicate the situation and drive out of it.

Do you own a skid pad?

Reply to
salty

Nice try, but it's obvious you don't have an advanced degree in computer science.

Reply to
salty

Really? Who other than me said that under heavy acceleration, engine vacuum is reduced?

I'll give you a hint: NOBODY

Reply to
salty

You are truly "lost in space"

Reply to
salty

I was just trying to match the logic of a few others in this thread, including yourself.

Reply to
salty

We know they didn't get the car into neutral. We *don't know* if they tried.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

-snip-

at the very least it should be mandatory to have the panic shutoff that ?Audi? has-- hit it 3 times quickly & it shuts down. Should save 2 1/2 seconds or so.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

BTDT, very similar experience about 7-8 years ago with my Suburban at +/-

65mph on the highway. It wasn't the spring that broke, but the clip that keeps it from slipping off -- of course, the effect is the same. It's a bit disconcerting, isn't it? :-) Shifted to neutral, pulled off onto the shoulder, shut the engine off, replaced the spring, used a twist-tie as a temporary replacement for the clip, problem solved. No big deal.
Reply to
Doug Miller