Snow Cover On Roof Provides Wind Protection?

Page 3 of 16

snipped-for-privacy@blueballs.com wrote:

BTDT, very similar experience about 7-8 years ago with my Suburban at +/- 65mph on the highway. It wasn't the spring that broke, but the clip that keeps it from slipping off -- of course, the effect is the same. It's a bit disconcerting, isn't it? :-) Shifted to neutral, pulled off onto the shoulder, shut the engine off, replaced the spring, used a twist-tie as a temporary replacement for the clip, problem solved. No big deal.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote: ...

Or another take--
So, Capt Sully shouldn't have been trained to land w/o power, iow. It _SHOULD_ never, ever, happen (but it does and did, of course).

You are too off the wall on this subject to bother with any longer.
HAND
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote: ...

I'll just not ride w/ you if you're driving is as out of touch as your belief in no failures, ok?
dpb wrote: ...

Speaking of whom, I saw that by pure coinky-dinck that yesterday was his retirement flight shower landing day (along w/ one other longtime crew member also on the now-fabled flight)....
Hoping for a long and no water landings one...

You do have a responsibility to your self and others to be properly trained in the use of any machinery, be it a table saw, pistol, punch press or automobile. Just as pilots train over and over how to handle a crippled aircraft, drivers should know emergency procedures.
What do you do if the hood flies up? Tire blows out run out of gas slush from a passing car blinds the windshield you hit black ice a car cuts in front of you the truck next to you drifts into your lane and a few hundred other possibilities. These thing happen every day and a competent driver knows how to handle them to avoid a crash. Some days I play the mental game of "what if" while driving. When the emergency presents itself, I should be better equipped to handle it.
The victim is 0% to blame for the fault, but has a lot of blame for the lack of ability to handle the situation safely. In most cases, I'd say 100%.

Okay, how many of the items above do YOU practice dealing with on a regular basis.
And by practice, I mean, replicate the situation and drive out of it.
Do you own a skid pad?
On Mar 3, 6:22am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

And how many of these procedures does any reasonable person do with a RENTAL car, The Lexus death car driven by the CA highway patrol officer was a rental car. Is it reasonable for that driver to know that when the car is traveling the procedure for turning off the ignition is very different from turning it off when the car is parked? It takes pushing in the dash start button a full, continuous 3 seconds. Would you do that or would you do what many people might do, push it in for a second or two, then try again? Do you read the owners manual before driving off? Tell the truth now. In fact, most of the rental cars I've had didn't even have the owner;s manual in them. Even if you read it in the manual in your own car, would you remember it 3, 5 years later in the middle of an emergency.
I quite amazed at the superiority complex some folks have here. You assume you would do so much better at handling this than a trained CA highway patrol officer in a car with 3 other people who also had considerable time to come up with ideas on how to stop the car. I think in view of not knowing all the facts and with so many of these unexplained accidents, SA and I are not so willing to jump to conclusions. And I also think no matter what happened, from what we know a lot of the blame falls on Toyota because it's clear:
A - In the Lexus at least, it takes a continuous 3 sec push to turn off the ignition of the car while moving. That seems excessively long.
B - Toytota, unlike other manufacturers, chose to not have an interlock that disengages the throttle when brakes are applied
C - They knew about these increasing incidents for a long time and didn't do enough.

How long does it take to shift into neutral?

Incredible stupidity on their part IMHO.

Toyota bears responsibility for the runaway acceleration, to be sure -- but the accidents that resulted are, for the most part, the fault of the incompetent drivers. Shifting into neutral is not a difficult concept.
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in wrote: >>B - Toytota, unlike other manufacturers, chose to not have an

there's an article about this today on Fox News online. seems there's several automakers who don't have the "interlock".
they have doubts about adding MORE code to the electronic throttle control code.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On Mar 3, 3:22am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

In my case, I didn't have to 'replicate' them. I had each and everyone of them happen to me and knew enough about the vehicle to avoid an accident. It ain't rocket science although you seem to think it is.
As for skid pad. Didn't need one. Live in snow country and every kid had a ball learning spins and recovery when adults weren't watching on parking lots and country roads.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

Hi, Makes total sense! motor vehicle operator vs. driver. Driver is in control of his car at all times. My friend who is a very good driver crashed his Volvo XC90 last winter on icy rural road. He very well knew what to do when his car started skidding but car's so called traction/stability control won't let do what he wanted ro do. Took the control off his hands.

Live in snow country and every kid

Actually, my father took us out so we could do those things.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My father didn't, but I did that for my daughter and I did it for myself, starting in parking lots. When roads are snow covered I regularly do test skids and acceleration tests when no other cars are in sight and I'm not likely to do damage if I do go out of control. I do the same on wet roads too. I was surprised how easy I could make the back of a front wheel drive the car slide as I turned faster/sharper than normal.

Have you practiced getting a family of four out of the car while it is upside down in a deep river? You really should!
If you are not prepared for dealing with that, you are stupid. Just ask Harry K., DerbyDad, or DPD.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Shit, no I didn't. After the practice runs over the active volcanoes I needed new tires and never finished the underwater part of the course. :-/

Damn. I have to go out and try teh "over the cliff" recovery maneuver now!
Waiting for sa's next strawman.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

No problem, it's just like on Buggs Bunny! Air Brakes!

Correct, while it is not practical to practice, it is very possible to think about what to do. How to open a door or window, equalizing pressure, the air bubble that will remain, using a cell phone, etc. Yes, it is stupid not to think about it.
Start here http://videos.howstuffworks.com/discovery/32750-how-to-survive-submerged-car-video.htm?FORM=VIRE5

Thinking about it might be helpful if you think the right thoughts and the exact same thing happens in reality that happens in your dream.
Just because actual practice isn't practical, doesn't mean you are excused from doing it.
Slamming into a concrete bridge abutment isn't practical either, but people still do it.