snow blower repair

I have an older Sears Track drive (10 hp, 32inch) snowblower and I am having problems putting on a new belt that runs the auger. Any suggestions on an easy way to replace it?

Reply to
Tom

If it is the set-up that I think it is, there is no easy way to replace the belt other than to use one of those "link" belts that you buy by the foot and make the belt the size that you want and can install it just by snaking the belt around the pulleys then join the ends. It is quite expensive but taking a machine apart just to change a belt isn't cheap either.

Reply to
Worn out Retread

Seems like a good idea, but trying to install a link belt in place will probably lead to not enough tension on the belt. Of course, if this belt is meant to be engaged by an idler pulley, this could work fine. However, if it's meant to be running full time as in a two stage snow blower (and I'm guessing a 10 hp, 32" blower is two stage) the tension will probably be low.

good luck,

jc

Reply to
joe

Read the manual if you have a maintenance manual, if not, order one. It's oOne of those thing that's easy if you know how and a pain if you do not.

Reply to
"Blattus Slaf

I have had a couple of large two stage blowers and both stages only ran when engaged by the controls. A link type belt would have been easy to install and would have had plenty of pressure when engaged to not slip as there was a lot of adjustment available.

Reply to
Worn out Retread

Having just assembled my new 10hp 2-stage, I would say that the instructions are simple, the operation is not. Anytime you have to pull the engine pulley to take the machine apart...

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K