Snow blower blades broken

I was using my neighbors (Sears 24" 247-886640 or 88725) snow blower after work to day. The dog's leash got caught in the propeller blades and now one side does not work. The right side works fine but the left side spins freely and is not engaged.
Can any body point me in the right direction as far as an owners manual or what to take apart and re-order?
I would appreciate any help
Thanks
MJS
I was using my neighbors (Sears 24" 247-886640 or 88725) snow blower after work to day. The dog's leash got caught in the propeller blades and now one side does not work. The right side works fine but the left side spins freely and is not engaged.
Can any body point me in the right direction as far as an owners manual or what to take apart and re-order?
I would appreciate any help
Thanks
MJS
Hears an idea buy your own snowblower and stop borrowing from your neighbors, unless the neighbor is stupid enough to let you use it ,buy your own!
Tom

snipped-for-privacy@spam.invalid (mitchsklar) wrote in

The shear pin broke as designed when overloaded. Go to the Snow blower dept at sears and they'll have some. May even have some spares on the snow blower itself if there's a little box on top.
What happened to the dog ?
You snapped the shear pin. It is made to do just that, shear before you do any real damage to the snow blower. Any lawn a garden center should have them if they sell snow blowers. Home Depot and Lowes has them as well. I have picked them up at Napa and you could go right to Sears. It's a good idea to keep a few on hand. The pin looks like a bolt with lock nut. It has grooves in the shoulder below the head and above the threads to allow it to "shear" easily. Don't put in a regular bolt or next time you hit a hidden object you'll do real damage.
Dave

I have no specific knowledge about this particular machine but I would bet that a sheer bolts has broken which is exactly what it is supposed to do, to protect the rest of the machine.
Go to http://www3.sears.com (Sears parts) Enter your model Number Check the parts list & diagram for the Gear Assembly There is an item list number 42 Check to see if that's what it is. In the diagram it appears to be accessible with little or no disassembly.
SHEAR BOLT 5/16-18 X 1.5 PART NUMBER 710-0890A
Hopefully that's all it is. It will set you back $2.22. You can order online or check if the nearest parts depot has it in stock.
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 00:07:39 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@spam.invalid (mitchsklar) wrote:

I hope the dog is okay! Pets should NEVER be allowed around power equipment when it is being operated. Sorry, but that's just plain inexcusible.
It sounds like you snapped a shear pin. No big deal to replace. Go to Sears or anyplace that sells snowthrowers with the make and model number.
Commodore Joe Redcloud
"I hope the dog is okay! Pets should NEVER be allowed around power equipment when it is being operated. Sorry, but that's just plain inexcusible"
Before you go jumping on the poor guy, it sounds more like what he hit was an outside unused leash covered by snow.
On 9 Dec 2005 16:51:17 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

He said "The Dog's Leash", not, "An unused leash". I've seen far too many people using snowblowers while their dog romps all around them trying to catch the snow. The warning was well justified, and not really aimed just at the OP. Hopefully some of the other chuckle heads will get the message before their dog catches a rock in the face or worse.
Commodore Joe Redcloud

As other said it is the shear pin (bolt). There will be a hole along the shaft that holds the blades. You will notice that the good one has what looks like a bolt in it. Some have a collar on the bolt.
Others correctly pointed out the shear pin snapped to protect the snow blower. I would pay attention to the grade of shear bolt you are replacing with. Use the same grade of bolt, likely 8.8 (carbon steel which is softer, not alloy steel, grade 10.9). My guess is the replacement bolt from Sears will be much more expensive. You can get the same size and grade bolt for pennies at Home Depot.
First, I would like to thank evryone who responded. The shear pin did break and the local Sears hardware store had the replacement pins. Two fresh pins and back in business.
As far as the dog's leash, the dog was in the house watching from the window and the leash or run cable was buried in the snow along the driveway. The cable was old and my wife want's a new one anyhow.
Thanks again to all who responded.
MJS