Snow Blower Advice

re: "Be real surprised if you can find an Ariens for the same price as an MTD.'

Prepare to be surprised.

As you said in you earlier post:

"Look closely at the sheet metal stampings. Odds are they are all MTDs, under the decals."

Based on what I've learned over the past few days, the Troy Bilt, the MTD and the Craftsman are all the same machine.

Here's the Troy Bilt for $599:

Here's the Craftsman for $599:

I can't find a link for the MTD version at $599, but my local BJ's carries it.

And finally, channeling Gomer Pyle: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise, here's the Ariens Sno-Tek for $599:

DerbyDad03

For a tool where a good one may last 30 years or more, it's nice to have one that performs well and reliably for all those uses. When you spread the extra cost over such a long period, it is really meaningless, and may actually work out to a lower total cost of ownership.

So, yes, I think it is well worth the extra money, and quality makes a big difference, both in longevity and in better performance every time you use it. If you are buying snowblower just to look at it, then maybe these things don't matter as much. :-)

The end of my driveway is about 25 feet wide, so every time the plow comes by (about once an hour) during a storm, I get a huge 2 foot high by 5 foot wide compacted berm blocking me in. The Ariens, with chains clears that heavy solid icy stuff out in a few minutes.

Reply to
salty

Ariens was king in the seventies and their pro line still kicks butt.

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Several years ago, I bought a truck and snowplow.

Reply to
frag

"DerbyDad03" wrote He wasn't putting down the HD staff, but he did hint that I might be more confident in having it assembled by an authorized service shop as opposed to someone at a home center.

He's right. I'd go with the local guy any day even if it was a slight premium just for the mentioned advantage.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Uh, what assembly? Unfolding the handle and pouring in the oil?

When they visited a snow-blower factory on 'How It's Made' a couple of years ago, they showed the shipping dock. They were not knocked down.

Reply to
aemeijers

If HD can screw it up they will. The authorized dealers that have mechanics will go over the unit and make sure it is OK before delivery.

I worked for an Ariens dealer many long years ago. Back then ONLY dealers handled them - there were no "big box" stores.

Reply to
clare

re: "Uh, what assembly?"

Per the on-line instructions...

The non-rocket science stuff:

- Unfold Handlebar

- Install Discharge Chute

- Install Discharge Chute Handle

- Check Function of Dual Handle Interlock

- Check Tire Pressure

- Check Auger Gearcase Oil

- Check Engine Crankcase Oil

- Fill Engine Fuel Tank

- Check Function of all Controls

here's the part I'd rather a service center do than the guy at Home Depot (or myself)

- Run-in Attachment Belt

  1. Start unit in a well-ventilated area
  2. Engage attachment clutch lever and run attachment for about 15 minutes.
  3. Stop unit, wait for all moving parts to stop, and remove spark plug wire.
  4. Adjust belt finger, if necessary. See Attachment Drive Belt Replacement on page 20.
  5. Adjust clutch idler according to Attachment Clutch/Brake Adjustment on page 23.

I'd trust the guy who is going to get the machine back if it doesn't work right over the HD guy who couldn't care less 'cuz he's never going to see me or the machine again.

I'm not naive enough to think that the service center guy is going to be meticulous about the assembly, but I do think that they would know by sound/sight/smell if something wasn't right better than myself or the big box staff.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

-sip-

For $600, new? Stores for free 7 months out of the year? And it does your sidewalks?

Maybe that's another thread.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Where do you suppose HD is going to send you for any problems or warantee issues?

I think I would rather already be a customer of the guy who does the work. He may like me better if I also bought the thing from him. Especially since there is NO price adavantage in buying from HD.

Keep the money local!

Reply to
salty

Perhaps you should have reviewed the earlier posts in this thread before jumping in.

I've already addressed everything that you just said.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Actually, I've been posting this opinion here for many years. Like since around 1992. This subject comes up every year around this time. You should try to follow along a little better before jumping in. You are a relative newbie here.

Reply to
salty

re: "You are a relative newbie here."

Relative is a relative word.

You've been around since '92, I've been around since '94...used to be under my real name before spam was major issue.

'92...'94...I guess you win.

Regardless of your longevity in these hallowed halls, why would you ask me a question that I had already answered?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Perhaps you haven't noticed, but usenet posts don't always propagate uniformly everywhere. I may not have seen your previous pronouncement, or it may have been buried within someone else's poorly edited reply.

If you have been here since 1994, I shouldn't have to tell you that.

Reply to
salty

e quoted text -

re: "I may not have seen your previous pronouncement..."

Since we can't prove a negative, we'll run with that one.

Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

There is enough right here that a Home Despot Wizzard can screw up.

Screwsinstalled tight and not crossthreaded?

Again, as above

This is a safety issue - you want it right.

It MUST be checked - just because the last 50 were OK doesn'rt mean you don't need to check it.

As above

Reply to
clare

Don't forget to look at John Deere, Husqvarna, Honda, Cub Cadet, Massy-Fergurson, Kubota, New Holland, Yanmar and others.

Reply to
LSMFT

Cub cadet is also MTD, by the way. Not sure who makes Deere equipment, but it's not made in Moline.

Reply to
clare

But...they use Kohler engines.

Reply to
LSMFT

I looked, I bought, I left.

I went with the Ariens Sno-Tek 24 inch from an independent mower/ blower shop that's been in operation at the same location for 40 years. The president of the company is the founder of the company. They must be doing something right.

Reply to
DerbyDad03