Snow Blower Advice

Page 2 of 3

.
I'm going to stop at a couple of "independent dealers" on the way home, but unless they can beat the Sno Tek machine at HD, I'll probably get that one.

I just called a local independent dealer and got this info:
The price on the Ariens Sno-Tek is set by Ariens, so it's going to be $599.99 regardless of where I buy it. This promo price is probably going to be around until mid-November, then it'll go back up to list until mid-February, and then back down again.
He also carries a Troy Bilt $599.99 model and said you can just look at the Ariens and see the better quality.
He added that the advantage of getting it from them over a Home Depot is that they are an authorized service shop. If I had a warranty problem at HD, they'd send us to them anyway, but their own customers get priority over non-customers.
He wasn't putting down the HD staff, but he did hint that I might be more confident in having it assembled by an authorized service shop as opposed to someone at a home center.
He's got one on the floor for me to play with, so I'm going to stop by tomorrow.
"DerbyDad03" wrote He wasn't putting down the HD staff, but he did hint that I might be more confident in having it assembled by an authorized service shop as opposed to someone at a home center.
He's right. I'd go with the local guy any day even if it was a slight premium just for the mentioned advantage.
On 10/28/2010 11:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Uh, what assembly? Unfolding the handle and pouring in the oil?
When they visited a snow-blower factory on 'How It's Made' a couple of years ago, they showed the shipping dock. They were not knocked down.
--
aem sends...

If HD can screw it up they will. The authorized dealers that have mechanics will go over the unit and make sure it is OK before delivery.
I worked for an Ariens dealer many long years ago. Back then ONLY dealers handled them - there were no "big box" stores.

re: "Uh, what assembly?"
Per the on-line instructions...
The non-rocket science stuff:
- Unfold Handlebar - Install Discharge Chute - Install Discharge Chute Handle - Check Function of Dual Handle Interlock - Check Tire Pressure - Check Auger Gearcase Oil - Check Engine Crankcase Oil - Fill Engine Fuel Tank - Check Function of all Controls
here's the part I'd rather a service center do than the guy at Home Depot (or myself)
- Run-in Attachment Belt
1. Start unit in a well-ventilated area 2. Engage attachment clutch lever and run attachment for about 15 minutes. 3. Stop unit, wait for all moving parts to stop, and remove spark plug wire. 4. Adjust belt finger, if necessary. See Attachment Drive Belt Replacement on page 20. 5. Adjust clutch idler according to Attachment Clutch/Brake Adjustment on page 23.
I'd trust the guy who is going to get the machine back if it doesn't work right over the HD guy who couldn't care less 'cuz he's never going to see me or the machine again.
I'm not naive enough to think that the service center guy is going to be meticulous about the assembly, but I do think that they would know by sound/sight/smell if something wasn't right better than myself or the big box staff.
On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 04:45:27 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Where do you suppose HD is going to send you for any problems or warantee issues?
I think I would rather already be a customer of the guy who does the work. He may like me better if I also bought the thing from him. Especially since there is NO price adavantage in buying from HD.
Keep the money local!
On Oct 29, 8:16am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Perhaps you should have reviewed the earlier posts in this thread before jumping in.
I've already addressed everything that you just said.
On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 05:31:42 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Actually, I've been posting this opinion here for many years. Like since around 1992. This subject comes up every year around this time. You should try to follow along a little better before jumping in. You are a relative newbie here.
On Oct 29, 8:50am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

re: "You are a relative newbie here."
Relative is a relative word.
You've been around since '92, I've been around since '94...used to be under my real name before spam was major issue.
'92...'94...I guess you win.
Regardless of your longevity in these hallowed halls, why would you ask me a question that I had already answered?
On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 07:03:11 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Perhaps you haven't noticed, but usenet posts don't always propagate uniformly everywhere. I may not have seen your previous pronouncement, or it may have been buried within someone else's poorly edited reply.
If you have been here since 1994, I shouldn't have to tell you that.
On Oct 29, 10:11am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

re: "I may not have seen your previous pronouncement..."
Since we can't prove a negative, we'll run with that one.
Thanks for the advice.
On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 04:45:27 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

There is enough right here that a Home Despot Wizzard can screw up.

Screwsinstalled tight and not crossthreaded?

Again, as above

This is a safety issue - you want it right.

It MUST be checked - just because the last 50 were OK doesn'rt mean you don't need to check it.

As above

Yeah, the Home Depot guy, who in my local store decided to store the pressure washers on their sides because they could fit one more on the rack, only to have oil dripping out all the cartons. I guess the "this side up" label was too hard to read with his level of education.
On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 15:38:31 -0400, "Colbyt"

Ariens was king in the seventies and their pro line still kicks butt.

Several years ago, I bought a truck and snowplow.
-sip-

For $600, new? Stores for free 7 months out of the year? And it does your sidewalks?
Maybe that's another thread.
Jim
DerbyDad03 wrote:

http://movingsnow.com/2010/09/powermore-craftsman-troy-bilt-yardman-cub-cadet-ohv-winterized-engines /
Don't forget to look at John Deere, Husqvarna, Honda, Cub Cadet, Massy-Fergurson, Kubota, New Holland, Yanmar and others.
--
LSMFT

Cub cadet is also MTD, by the way. Not sure who makes Deere equipment, but it's not made in Moline.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

But...they use Kohler engines.

--
LSMFT