Snapper Snowblower - Need Repair Manual

I have found that many Tecumseh engines are very similar and use the same parts and most did not use a filter. You don't need the Snapper manual, you need the Tecumseh manual. Get the model and serial number off the engine and search for that manual. I have purchased rebuild kits and even a replacement carb recently as they are still available -- Tecumseh went bankrupt a few years ago!

Reply to
EXT

I bought a Snapper Snowblower model I 524 or 5240 (it says both), at an auction. It runs, but wont stay running unless I keep it about 2/3 choked. It has a Tecumseh 5HP engine. I dont see any fuel filter, but have not yet removed the cover over the carb. My guess is that it needs to have the carb adjusted or rebuilt. I'd like to begin with adjusting it, but need to know which screws are for what, and a starting setting.

I looked online and found a downloadable user manual, but cant seem to locate a repair manual. Anyone know where I might find one, or know how to set the carb adjustments?

Thanks

Reply to
generic

That makes sense about the engine manual rather than the snowblower manual. However if anyone finds the repair manual for this snowblower, I'd still like to download it, because sooner or later I'll need to work on the drive-train or something. I spent at least 2 hours using google and all I can find are user manuals and outdated ebay ads. (So much for google having any usefulness lately, these days they just cater to their advertisers and all their youtube links, and ebay links).

Maybe someone on here knows a better sourse to download manuals....

Well, lets see if google can find me the engine repair manual. I wrote down the engine numbers.

I didn't know Tecumseh went bankrupt. That's too bad, from experience I've always found their engines to be superior to Briggs engines.

Reply to
generic

I didn't know that Tecumseh went out of business, that's too bad!

As concerning parts availability and such, they didn't make their own carbs, instead utilizing carbs made by other companies (like Walbro or Carter). Fortunately, rebuild kits are available for all manner of parts on a Tec, from the cab down to the points, and likely still will be for the indefinite future.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I agree. The carb should have a model # on it. With that, you should be able to find the rebuild kit. I've bought them on Ebay for $10. I'll bet if he finds the carb model and maker with a bit of googling he can find some pics or videos of the the carb, rebuilding it, etc. A manual is desirable, but with reasonable skill, the parts and how they come apart, go back together are kind of obvious. Only tricky thing is dealing with the welch plugs, if any. I'd bet with some googling of the carb model he can figure out which screws are main and idle valves, etc.

Could also just genttly close both screws, keeping track of how many turns. Then you know where they were at. Put them back to where they were and start experimenting. One should adjust the idle mix, other the mix at full power. Goal is to get it to run smoothly.

From the symptoms, agree it sounds like the carb. They foul easy and in my experience the only solution then is to take it all apart, clean and then reassemble using rebuild kit.

Reply to
trader4

I sure hope so. There are many of their engines still in use. I spent hours searching for my engine, online and cant find it. I even used another search engine since google continues to get worse. The model is a Tecumseh H550 87266G I am not even finding the H550 part. Just some that have H35 and HHxxx, etc. I did find a generic sort of manual that has some carb settings listed, so I'll see if that helps.

Reply to
generic

Generally, the mixture gets richer as you back the screws out, so I would start by just turning one screw 1/2 turn counterclockwise, see what happens, then the other screw 1/2 turn, keep alternating until something happens, but keep track of how many 1/2 turns you put on each screw so you can get back to the starting point if all else fails. You could also use carburetor cleaner on the carburetor and see if that helps.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Thanks, I'll give this a try. I did put a small amount of carb cleaner in the gas tank earlier and let it run for 15 minutes (with choke partly on to keep it running). That didn't seem to do anything, but maybe it will clean up the carb after sitting overnight (I hope).

Reply to
generic

Before you try anything complicated. Unbolt the carb, and remove the gasket between the carb and the engine. Put on a light coating of Permatex IIB Non Hardening (yes, sold at Walmart, in the auto section). Give great effort, not to get that black stuff on your self or clothing. If so, comes off with alcohol dry gas. Tecumseh gaskets go bad, and then you get air coming in after the carb, so the engine runs lean.

.

I looked online and found a downloadable user manual, but cant seem to locate a repair manual. Anyone know where I might find one, or know how to set the carb adjustments?

Thanks

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've repaired at least a couple Tecumseh engines with the air leak at the carb to engine gasket. Please try the Permtex stuff I mentioned. Number IIb, non hardening.

.

Thanks, I'll give this a try. I did put a small amount of carb cleaner in the gas tank earlier and let it run for 15 minutes (with choke partly on to keep it running). That didn't seem to do anything, but maybe it will clean up the carb after sitting overnight (I hope).

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Gen,

Give Tecumseh a call, 1 800 558-5402.