Snap Ring

Hi guys!
Hoping you can be of help to me. Yesterday I purchased a replacement hose sprayer head for my kitchen sink. I was able to remove the old snap ring with a pocket knife but can't get on the new one.
Any ideas or solutions to my dilemma would be greatly appreciated. Also is the snap ring an absolute necessity? I assembled it without the snap ring as the replacement has a much thicker rubber washer than the original one and on a limited trial basis it seems okay. I don't want to chance anything though.
Thank you in advance for any replies.I
Barbara
Barbara Devaney wrote:

Inner or outer ring? It's been a long time since I fooled w/ one of these and can't recall where there is a snap ring.
As for is it needed--I'm sure they didn't make it with one for no purpose... :)
I suspect it may work fine w/o it but you'll find that some time quite unexpectedly it will let got and you'll get water all over where you don't want it if you leave it off...
replying to dpb, Shelly wrote:

I looked on here to find out that same thing. I did not want to have to go out to get a tool to put this snap ring on, I wanted to have it done before my husband came home. So I got mad, cussed in Slovak and just pushed on the little monster and (yay) it snapped on, so it can be done without the pliers.
Shelly wrote:
Homeowners hub post from July 14, 2006.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Barbara Devaney wrote:

I hate to take chances on this stuff. Is this an under-the-sink connection. I'd be tempted to use a "hose clamp" or more technically called a "worm gear clamp" from the local hardware store. Probably less than a couple of bucks.
You can totally "unscrew them" to put around a hose that is already connected and then thread the thing back together. It's easier if you put it on before the hoses are attached, though.
Here's one at Ace Hardware: http://tinyurl.com/elhkh
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

If the fitting is long enough, use two of them--"belt and suspenders" seldom hurts. Don't clamp so tight that they are cutting the hose though.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 12:16:03 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Barbara Devaney) wrote:

Maybe a handy neighbor has as set of snap ring pliers.

Try to insert one end into place and work around until the other end snaps in.. pushing towards the center to collapse it small enough to get it in....

I would make sure to put the ring back in, myself.
Oren
Barbara Devaney wrote:

Without the snap ring installed the sprayer head will soon blow off the hose at a most inopportune moment. It won't be a disaster since the water will stop squirting out of the hose as soon as you shut the faucet of course.
As to getting the snap ring back on, you didn't mention whether it's a wire ring or a flat ring looking a bit like a schizophrenic letter "C".
Either way your best bet is to find someone with more than a pocket knife in their tool kit and ask them to show you how they do it. Once you observe what they do, you'll be a qualified snap ring putter oner for life.
HTH,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Barbara Devaney wrote:

Just go down to your local hardware store and buy a cheap snap-ring pliers. I just did and the cost was very reasonable.One tool had both in and out tips. Although one doesn't use one often, when you need one it is about he only thing that works. It should be part of every home tool kit.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

But, take that ring to the store with you, I have little faith in today's average hardware store employees understanding requests for anything more complex that a paint brush. <G>
If you happen to be near us in Red Sox Country, I'd be glad to pop over and help, (With SWMBO of course.)
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
On Friday, July 14, 2006 9:16:03 AM UTC-7, Barbara Devaney wrote:

If it’s like the one I suspect you have, snap ring pliers won’t work. T ry to do it in a place like inside a tub with a stopper on the drain where you won’t lose it if it springs out of your fingers. It takes patience, p ersistence and practice. I use small channel lock pliers myself.