Snake wire from wall to ceiling

Page 4 of 4

appearance items.

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 10:05:35 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

give a lot more than a slap of the rist to those destroying buildings in those heritage districts.
The big surprise?? Home values in those heritage districts, where you are severely limited in what you can change on the visible exterior of the buildings, almost invariably goes UP.
RicodJour wrote:

In my area the older houses are sold as "tear-downs" and sell for a bit less. The real cost is in the land. A $300K house on a $1.7 million lot costs $2 million. A $50K house on a $1.7 million lot costs $1.75 million.

That was a nice touch.
writes:

fyi: diamond tools don't last long cutting metals. you want to try an abrasive type of cutting tool instead.
On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 09:50:24 -0700, "charlie"

Diamond tools may not last long (iyo) cutting metal but they work just fine on rebar or wire in concrete or metal lath in plaster.
I've had 100's of inches of concrete with rebar cored drilled. I've even done some myself with a Hilti diamond core rig. I might even have some #9 rebar slugs that where completely cored out of a concrete footing with a 2 1/2" core bit.
I know I have some cores where steel was cut nearly the entire core length.
Diamond tools will make short work of embedded steel.
cheers Bob
writes:

*Sounds like a nice job was done. Thank you for posting back with details.

Ditto that. A lot of times there are lengthy threads with a lot of suggestions/debate and then it's off into the ether and we never hear what happened.
BTW, in future, next time you have a question for people to diagnose upload some pictures on a free hosting site and post the links here. It makes it more interesting, efficient and fun. R

Very interesting problem and solution.
Thanks!
For what it's worth, I just spent a few years in Europe courtesy of my employer.
Most of the construction was plaster over masonry, even interior walls. Nobody had ever heard of fishing a wire. Standard practice was to route out a narrow slot, add wire, plaster over. Once painted it was invisible.
It left the wire pretty close to the surface and uncautious Americans often put a nail through it hanging a picture, etc. But since they always honored the conventions about where to put the wire, the locals never had that problem.

Pray tell, what were those conventions?

You make your slot very carefully vertical. Anywhere you see a switch or an outlet, you assume there is a wire running vertically floor to ceiling; But you won't have a wire even a short distance away from that vertical channel. The rest of the wall is safe.
Obviously there is a horizontal channel too. That will be consistently low or high. I don't know how they chose, I didn't get that detailed and there was a language barrier.

Wait a minute, you're telling me they use _logic_...? Wouldn't that take all the fun and excitement out of remodeling???
"Hey be careful - you don't know what's inside that wall." "Listen, I know what I'm doing, I've done it a thousand times before, there's no WAY a wire could be.....ZAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!: "Woah. That was close..." "...and exciting!"
See what I mean? Without the excitement and danger, you might as well get a regular job or knit or something. ;)

Good idea. I just have to figure out how to use them. Any suggestions of a good (free) site that is not burdened by adware or other annoyances?