Snake stuck -- Drain still clogged

Well, bathroom sink was running slow. Did the plunger, hot water, baking soda/vinegar, Liquid plumbr. It was running slightly better, but still slow. Keep running hot water down over a two-week period, no better.

So, plunged the heck out of it today. Now it is really clogged....

Took off the trap, which was clean. Took off the tailpipe, which connects to a 1"1/2 CPVC (or whatever that black plastic stuff is) inside the wall.

Just inside the wall the plastic pipe makes a sharp "L" to the right. I tried my 3/8" snake and then tried my smaller "plumber's tape." Cannot get past the L just inside the wall.

I can feel a great amount of cold air coming in from the open drain pipe, which I assume is coming in from the vent? I was thinking of going on the roof and trying to snake the vent....All I have is a manual 25' snake, and it is a two story house and the clogged drain is on the first floor, although I guess I can rent a longer snake.....Is it worth it?

Should I throw in the towel (so to speak LOL)....and call a pro....

Reply to
timbirr

Rent an electric snake and go up on the roof. That is what the plumber will do. Make sure that the snake is at least 50' and feed it in slowly after you get down past your sink. That allows the snake to clean the sides of you pipe as you feed it in. If you are not having trouble with any of the other drains in the house, then the 50' snake should clear your problems. Flush it well with water (use the water hose) after snaking it.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Black plastic is ABS.

Forget snaking from the roof terminal. That will go right down the stack without touching the clog.

You can try the hand-cranked or electric drill augers, but I would try to rent this (or similar):

Often, the snake tip will go *up* the vent side of the TEE when it hits the obstruction. In that case, you need a special snake tip that is pivoted to go "down".

Tricky stuff and no guarantees.

I'm surprised that an ABS system has clogged tightly.

Don't try to flush it out with any of those garden hose attachments; you'll wind up with a flood.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

why do you say that? i've had good luck with those things.

Reply to
mike_0_007

I said that because OP reports a cold breeze (from the vent). That means the pipe is clear all the way up to roof, but blocked going down the drain.

Forcing water in will cause it to rise up the vent connection (because it can't go down the drain). Then, when you pull the hose fitting out, that column of water will run back out the open drain in the bath.

Granted, there are many possible variations in the drain/vent layout that we don't know about, but the clogged drain and breeze from vent tells me to be very wary.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Hi all -- OP again --

Thanks for the tips. Regarding the water hose pressure jet...When I removed the trap I was amazed at the amount of water that continued to flow in from the tailpipe and into the bucket.

Normally, when I take off a trap, I get a few dribbles but 99 percent of the water that I get I get from emptying the trap. In this case, with the amount of water that came back, I figure several ounces already must be part way up the stack....We're not talking gallons or anything, but probably a good pint or so came back...

I think I will try the vent first, just because it sounds easy and won't hurt anything and then move on to more drastic measures....

Thanks again.

Reply to
timbirr