Snake ID

Page 1 of 2
While pulling some bushes today, we encountered a snake. About 1" in diameter, and three feet long. A copperish color, but more of a pinkish light brown. Pointy long tail. Not aggressive, but didn't want to be ejected from his bush. We had to pester him for quite a bit before he made a break. This is in Southern Utah. Any ideas of the kind of snake this is?

Sixty-four species of reptiles call Utah home. This include 34 kinds of snakes from the cagey rattlesnake to the mild-mannered gopher snake to the very harmless grass snake.
Here's a description that fits what you describe...
http://books.google.com/books?id=jE3SMChsaFkC&pg=PA188&lpg=PA188&dq=snakes+southern+utah+copper&source=web&ots=lvth4jZ3u5&sig=JJRiOXRXGq4CqaY4aCq-_M3iL7s#PPA187,M1
The Ranger
SteveB wrote:

in Utah. Try googling Utah snakes, photos, etc. and you might find yours.

So far, according to my googling, it looks like a glossy snake (actual species name) and brown snake. http://dwrcdc.nr.utah.gov/rsgis2/Search/Display.asp?FlNm=arizeleg
I guess if I had to come up with a color, it would be a Starbucks frozen latte frappucino. Mostly tan, but with a slight tinge of pink, red, and shiny.
He wasn't being aggressive, and I didn't have my snake gun handy, so all I wanted to do was move him along. We live at the END of the road, and any extra mousers are welcome here. We don't let the cats out at night because the coyotes like them over tacos.
I do have a proclivity for shooting rattlers, as I have had CABGX5 AVR, take coumadin, and don't want to mess with an episode of snakebite.
We have also flushed out a California king snake. A beautiful creature (for a snake) with dark and white rings. Heard they go after gophers, but I still have gophers in my yard. If he doesn't start doing his job, I may just fire him.
I am presently building an oxygen and propane injection system that will fill gopher burrows with explosive gas, then hit it with a spark. That is, if I EVER get done with honeydews, and now a 1,005 sf Mother In Law quarters, followed by a 1500 sf shop if my money and heart hold out that long.
We also have free ranging coyotes, lots of scorpions, huge spiders (no harmless tarantulas seen yet), and various other critters of the night. Rule one is: if you stay outside the yard, you're okay. If you come inside the yard or the house, you may not be okay.
Lots of quail, dove, inca dove, hummers, hawks, crows, rabbits, rodents, and various other local desert wildlife visit occasionally.
I guess it's the price to be paid when you move to the end of the road next to canyons, sand dunes, starry starry nights, undisturbed landscapes, and you're the odd man out.
I can deal with it.
Except the spiders.
Steve

I could deal with it too... I'm MOVING!!!! :-)

rattlers if they're of the right size. I'd encourage them to stay.
KC
SteveB wrote:

googling the area. We have no poisonous snakes here in DE except for an isolated area with copperheads but I did relocate a garter snake and black snake this year because my wife is deathly afraid of them. I'm on coumadin too and little bites and scrapes can be annoying.
Frank
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 14:15:52 -0700, "SteveB"

If it was a solid color and it didn't have a big triangular head it was probably just a rat eater (dozens of varites of corn snakes, rat snakes, coach whips and such) Leave them alone they won't bother you.

A 12 gauge would have work GREAT!!!!! :-)
<snipped for sanitary reasons>
How did you slither out of my killfile? Back in with you.
Steve

Your computer didn't want you missing important information. :-)

Guess I didn't think taking a 12 ga. to a harmless vermin eating snake was important information. I will just have to plod along aimlessly in the dark without kjpro's input.
Woe is me!
Steve

Yeah, ok, whatever... you know it's harmless, yet you're here asking a question to identify what type of snake it is... That's just too funny!!!
Disregard this Idiot he can't tell difference between day and night

Hehe... Tony, get a clue...

You need the new and _improved_ Norton ClueFinder software!
You are a troll and a NYM shifter - that's your clue!
-- Oren

You can think what you want, I know the truth.

So?!! No denial?
-- Oren

You're an idiot?

Think what you wish...

Go away, even if you are ticked off :-)))
Just go away! Beam him up HVAC!
HVAC too tower?!
Tell us your most unique snake episode and how close were you too actually being struck? Even go back a few years. We all want to hear it. Were you face to face this pit viper?
30.06 vs 12 ga. on the snake, mid-strike? I gotta know!
<GRIN>
-- Oren