snake

What kinda snake iz that? I have a snake living under my front porch and it scares the wife. It (the snake) is about 4 ft long and black with yellow stripes along its body with a pointed head. I don`t think it`s poisonas bu t I would like to know what kind of snake is it and how do
I have a snake living under my front porch. It is about 4 ft long;black;wit h yellow stripes along both sides. with a pointed head. What kinda snake is this and how do I make it go away?
On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 5:59:24 AM UTC-5, herb white wrote:

> I have a snake living under my front porch and it scares the wife. It (the >snake) is about 4 ft long and black with y ellow stripes along its body with a >pointed head. I don`t think it`s poiso nous but I would like to know what kind of >snake is it and how do
Garter snake would be likely...especially in Pennsylvania. I've seen them n ear that size in the Mid-West.
On 07/07/2015 06:32 AM, bob_villa wrote:

a 4 ft long garter snake?
wow
I don't think I've seen one longer than a foot...
my guess is that if it's 4ft long it's finding plenty to eat...
and what it's eating...I'm sure your wife would like even less.

Common Garter snake ranges from 22 to 54 inches.

I have plenty of times.

That's why you leave them alone, they get rid of other nasties and are otherwise harmless.
--
Dan Espen

On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 12:05:59 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:

> I have a snake living under my front por ch and it scares the wife. It (the >snake) is about 4 ft long and black wit h yellow stripes along its body with a >pointed head. I don`t think it`s po isonous but I would like to know what kind of >snake is it and how do

em near that size in the Mid-West.

I removed one from our pastor's basement that was over 3 feet for sure...an d about 2 inches at the fattest point. Sometimes small ones can be feistier ...their fangs are sharp, but don't do much damage (no punctures).
On 7/7/2015 3:49 PM, bob_villa wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Garter_Snake

There are plenty of other snakes with stripes and they usually all get called garter snakes. This is a yellow rat snake. They easily get to be 4-5 feet.
http://gfretwell.com/wildlife/adult%20yellow%20rat%20snake.jpg
When they are smaller they are a lot more "yellow"
http://gfretwell.com/wildlife/yellow%20rat%20snake.jpg
The babies are different than that with the mottled spots more prevalent.
http://gfretwell.com/wildlife/baby%20rat%20snake.jpg
They are very common around my house and we like them being here. (because if that "rat" thing)

Did not realize garter snakes got so big until I googled their length.
I only see garter and black snakes around my house.
My wife, like op's is deadly afraid of snakes even knowing there are no poisonous ones around here.
On Tue, 7 Jul 2015 03:59:19 -0700 (PDT), herb white

Tell your wife she would rather have the snake than the rats it is eating