smooting over wall texture

I want to remove the texture from the walls in some rooms of my house. The texture is the cheap and dirty splatter of drywall mud on a bare wall then flatten and paint over it type.
I plan to skim coat with either plaster or drywall mud but I have a couple of questions.
1. The walls are painted with flat or semi gloss paint. Do I need primer or just a light sanding or a heavy sanding?
2. What will work better (stick better and come out smooth) drywall mud or plaster of paris? Does it even matter if I plan to paint over it?
AutoTracer wrote:

No primer, no paint, no sanding except for areas that obviously need it.
I've done this probably a dozen times. Drywall mud is best. Personally I use Hamilton's Taping Mud (drys harder) to skim coat or float the textured walls. And each time I used it over a previously painted surface, followed by spray or hand texture.
In fact I learned a trick a long time ago when prepping to spray texture over smooth walls such as a bath that's been painted with a gloss or semi-gloss, and that is to skim coat the wall using the drywall compound first. That way the texure won't run or sag as it might if just applied over a smooth glossy finished wall.
"...that makes no sense..."
You're right.
m Ransley wrote:

Wrong. I've done it dozens of times.
1 make up your mind, flat is flat, semi gloss is shiney. Skimcoat over semi and it will likely fail. Sand and prime and it is still not guarnteed to hold
AutoTracer wrote:

Smooting?
Brings to mind something that happened at my alma mater the year after I graduated:
http://www-tech.mit.edu/V119/N49/this_week-_49_c.49f.html
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
My mind is made up. Some of the walls I want to change are already painted in semigloss and some are already painted in flat. If they were unpainted, there would be no question.
Are you saying that even if I prime over the semigloss the skim coat would not hold but it would over flat, that makes no sense because the primer will stick to the semigloss and it is flatter than flat (so to speak)

We did the same thing to three walls, one of which was already pained in a semi gloss. We just floated over the entire wall with drywall mud, and then texturized. You can't even tell.