smooth doors

I am trying to get a super smooth surface on a door. Can formica be painted? My idea is to laminate the door with formica or similar and then paint it. Any help be greatly appreciated.

yes, formica paint is available. the door will be thicker. formica isn't especially smooth. you might get a better surface removing the door and painting with an oil based paint when it's horizontal. sprayed on is best.
Hi, Do a web search on "swedish putty"; this stuff is used to obtain a limousine-like smoothness to front doors. The paint job must be flawless to get anything out of this type of prep. Think of rubbing out a good quality lacquer with 10000 grit abrasive. Then wax. It will redefine what you consider to be shiny. Casey

Interior or exterior door, do you want high gloss or satin, I guess its a flat door if you are thinking formica.

Have you priced a smooth new honey combed replacement door vs formica in the size necessary? Paint isn't free either.
-Bob Stan http://www.hbci.com/~sew4uicn ...I love simple things