Smoked microwave

It will eventually air out. In the meantime, the smoke has covered the internal fan, etc. so it's going to take a bit.

Not sure about any magic formulas, but I'd probably try putting a glass of water in there, and putting the microwave on the lowest power setting for about 60 minutes. This will run the fan, provide little, if any, heat, and hopefully air it out.

Good Luck,

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

My wife left a potato in the microwave for what would have probably been 45 minutes, if I let it. The potato clearly caught fire. By the time I heard the smoke alarm go off and rushed in, the kitchen was full of smoke and the microwave was still on. After shutting off the oven and opening the door (no more flames at this point) I surmised that there was probably a minimal flame/fire and more smoke than anything else.

I cleaned the inside pretty well and you can't see any visible damage. Trouble is the inside of the oven smells of smoke.

I can still use the oven as it appears not to be damaged and it cooks food ok, still. Question: is there something I can do to get rid of the smell? Like some sort of home-brewed concoction that I could leave in the oven while it boiled and fumigated/deodorized the inside? Any commercial products? Baking soda?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Walter

Reply to
Walter Cohen

Fugly picture--recycled douche or somesuch coming to mind here....

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

A new unit? What are they, about $50 nowadays?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Seems wasteful, inefficient for such a minor issue.

And a decent microwave is far higher than $50.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

I'd start with a bowl of plain white vinegar. Put it in there, close the door and leave it for a while.

Reply to
Tracey

Art Todesco wrote in news:N0qYe.429$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:

You must have some weird vinegar. Because vinegar absorbs all kinds of smells.

Reply to
Rescate

Reply to
Art Todesco

Yep

  1. Take the cover off the mw and clean the fan and stuff like that. (unplug it fist) Put it back together.
  2. Put some baking soda in a cup and put it inside for a day or two
  3. Get a divorce
  4. Hire a cook (or marry one)
  5. the remaining potato should be very low carb. Sell it on Ebay for the low carb fad dieters. The money will pay for your divorce lawyer, if you make the shipping and handling high enough.

..

Reply to
anoldfart2

It's easy to talk when it's someone elses money !!!

Reply to
anoldfart2

The GE Spacesaver I installed over my stove last month ran about $450.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

How long should the original poster run the microwave with the bowl of vinegar in there? Would 45 minutes be adequate?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:N6yYe.123930$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

You don't have to run it. Just put the bowl inside and shut the door. If you need to cook something then take out the bowl of vinegar and put it back inside when you're done cooking food.

Reply to
Marina

I still have my 1975 microwave it's only 500 wats but it's so simple that a 5 year old can use it. Yes the sides are metal, also the door latch is metal.

Reply to
homeowner

We had a microwave at work in which someone left a bag of popcorn for almost half an hour...the smell never completely left it. The plastic inside is porous and there's usually grease and such way up in the vents that will absorb a lot of the odr-causing particles.

We finally just ditched the silly thing when it still stank miestly a year later. Microwave ovens are cheap.

(I do miss my Samsung, bought in 1976 or so, it was still going strong in 2003 when we finally gave it to Salvation Army....was all stainles steel inside except for the fang rille and light fixture in the top.)

JIm P.

Reply to
nobody