Smoked microwave

My wife left a potato in the microwave for what would have probably been 45 minutes, if I let it. The potato clearly caught fire. By the time I heard the smoke alarm go off and rushed in, the kitchen was full of smoke and the microwave was still on. After shutting off the oven and opening the door (no more flames at this point) I surmised that there was probably a minimal flame/fire and more smoke than anything else.
I cleaned the inside pretty well and you can't see any visible damage. Trouble is the inside of the oven smells of smoke.
I can still use the oven as it appears not to be damaged and it cooks food ok, still. Question: is there something I can do to get rid of the smell? Like some sort of home-brewed concoction that I could leave in the oven while it boiled and fumigated/deodorized the inside? Any commercial products? Baking soda?
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Walter
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
It will eventually air out. In the meantime, the smoke has covered the internal fan, etc. so it's going to take a bit.
Not sure about any magic formulas, but I'd probably try putting a glass of water in there, and putting the microwave on the lowest power setting for about 60 minutes. This will run the fan, provide little, if any, heat, and hopefully air it out.
Good Luck, -Tim
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:27:08 -0500, "Tim Fischer"

We had a microwave at work in which someone left a bag of popcorn for almost half an hour...the smell never completely left it. The plastic inside is porous and there's usually grease and such way up in the vents that will absorb a lot of the odr-causing particles.
We finally just ditched the silly thing when it still stank miestly a year later. Microwave ovens are cheap.
(I do miss my Samsung, bought in 1976 or so, it was still going strong in 2003 when we finally gave it to Salvation Army....was all stainles steel inside except for the fang rille and light fixture in the top.)
JIm P.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 21:23:43 -0700, in misc.consumers.house snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

I still have my 1975 microwave it's only 500 wats but it's so simple that a 5 year old can use it. Yes the sides are metal, also the door latch is metal.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Walter Cohen writes:

A new unit? What are they, about $50 nowadays?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Seems wasteful, inefficient for such a minor issue.
And a decent microwave is far higher than $50.
-Tim
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 23:04:34 -0500, "Tim Fischer"

It's easy to talk when it's someone elses money !!!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Richard J Kinch wrote:

The GE Spacesaver I installed over my stove last month ran about $450.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com.REMOVE
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I can still use the oven as it appears not to be damaged and it cooks food

I'd start with a bowl of plain white vinegar. Put it in there, close the door and leave it for a while.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
How long should the original poster run the microwave with the bowl of vinegar in there? Would 45 minutes be adequate?
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You don't have to run it. Just put the bowl inside and shut the door. If you need to cook something then take out the bowl of vinegar and put it back inside when you're done cooking food.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Been there, done that. I tried vinegar and water, boiling it. Nothing helped but time. Actually, on my oven, the "flame sensor" popped .... actually after I shut if off. This is a fusable link on the top of the oven. The heat finally caused it to open. New sensor, and it's good as new. The smell finally went away after a few weeks. This oven has very poor air circulation compared to other units I have owned, so it took a relatively long time.
Walter Cohen wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You must have some weird vinegar. Because vinegar absorbs all kinds of smells.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Fugly picture--recycled douche or somesuch coming to mind here....
<g>
--
SVL




Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:19:02 -0400, "Walter Cohen"

Yep
1. Take the cover off the mw and clean the fan and stuff like that. (unplug it fist) Put it back together. 2. Put some baking soda in a cup and put it inside for a day or two 3. Get a divorce 4. Hire a cook (or marry one) 5. the remaining potato should be very low carb. Sell it on Ebay for the low carb fad dieters. The money will pay for your divorce lawyer, if you make the shipping and handling high enough.
..
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.