smoke from neighbor's condo - coming thru electrical outlet

Page 1 of 2
finally found the source of the smoke smell that has been leaking into my aparment somehow...it's coming from a specific electrical outlet in the living room - how do I seal that bad boy up so no air seems thru? I dont need to use it, so thats not an issue. Thanks

Just one word............
"Duck tape"
--

SVL

Quack-quack.

I love duck tape as much as anybody... but I want something thats not gonna be unsightly!
low expansion spray foam.
Clear Duct Tape
or electrical duct seal packed in behind the recpt sealing the box screw holes, pipe fittings, and other openings.
Have to assume cigarette smoke from a neighbor? Hard to believe that odor only would noticeable coming through just one recpt.

my
dont
gonna
On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 07:04:32 GMT, "Zwanz of Never"

You can purchase those clear plastic protectors that fit into the outlets. They are "safety" items made to keep kids from poking metal objects into outlets. I use these on exterior wall outlets to cut down on drafts. I think you buy them in a six pack for cheap.
Zwanz of Never wrote:

Maybe if you have 'duck' wallpaper the 'duck' tape might match and not look so bad. Maybe you could use some of that 'duck' tape to seal up the 'duct' work too.
On 2/13/2005 12:40 PM US(ET), GFRfan took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/duckvsduct.html
--
Bill

willshak wrote:

Thanks. That's interesting. Now I can't chastise the wife any more for calling it Duck tape.

my
That's 2 words.

the
dont
And the winner is...
Kath !!!
--

SVL

that's one word
even though it's a contraction
It's "Duct" Tape.
1. Don't use expanding foam (fire hazard) 2. The best way would be to wrap the box in 6 mill vapour barrier Unfortunatly not an option in your situation. Stuffing the area aroun the outlet box would appear to be the most viable solution. Use "Roxul Insulation for that application. This product will not burn. It i available at any building supply store. 3. It probably wouldn't hurt to go and speak to your neighbor. B FRIENDLY!!! You will get better results. 4. If you allow your landlord to do this work, make sure you are thei to supervise. You don't need a bad situation made worse.
Good luck
-- Bevingto ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Bevington's Profile: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=5 View this thread: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/showthread.php?tt58 This post was submitted via http://www.HomeRepairForums.or

You can get fireproof expanding foam (doesn't expand much) intended for fireproofing electrical feed thrus, I have some.
A little vinegar will make the smoke smell disappear.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

Isn't it duct (not duck) tape?

It's supposed to be. But I've seen them selling it as Duck for the people who don't know what Duct is. TaskProperties

I had that happen in an apartment years ago. I covered the plates with black electrical tape. I had to put silicone sealant around one of the wall plates to keep it from leaking between the plastic and the drywall.
-john-
John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708 snipped-for-privacy@johnweeks.com

---------- I wouldn't seal the plate to the wall. Take the plate off, and seal between the box and drywall, and seal the wire inlets (don't electrocute yourself). Then put the plate back on.