smoke from neighbor's condo - coming thru electrical outlet

Just one word............

"Duck tape"

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

---------- I wouldn't seal the plate to the wall. Take the plate off, and seal between the box and drywall, and seal the wire inlets (don't electrocute yourself). Then put the plate back on.

Reply to
Abe

low expansion spray foam.

Reply to
xrongor

All nice answers, but as it's a defect in the apartment, why not let the apartment manager fix the problem.

I sure hope the smoke smell mentioned is tobacco not wires.

Reply to
Robert Morien

I had that happen in an apartment years ago. I covered the plates with black electrical tape. I had to put silicone sealant around one of the wall plates to keep it from leaking between the plastic and the drywall.

-john-

Reply to
John A. Weeks III

finally found the source of the smoke smell that has been leaking into my aparment somehow...it's coming from a specific electrical outlet in the living room - how do I seal that bad boy up so no air seems thru? I dont need to use it, so thats not an issue. Thanks

Reply to
Zwanz of Never

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Quack-quack.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

I love duck tape as much as anybody... but I want something thats not gonna be unsightly!

Reply to
Zwanz of Never

I have to agree with Robert. You should notify your landlord before you do anything to the apartment. You may be in violation of your lease agreement. And, do you know for sure the smoke is coming from his apartment and the type of smoke?

An outlet can go bad even if nothing is plugged into it.

Reply to
Clark Griswold

And the winner is...

Kath !!!

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

That's 2 words.

Reply to
Kathy

Clear Duct Tape

or electrical duct seal packed in behind the recpt sealing the box screw holes, pipe fittings, and other openings.

Have to assume cigarette smoke from a neighbor? Hard to believe that odor only would noticeable coming through just one recpt.

Reply to
bumtracks

You can buy packets of insulation made specifically for wall switchplates, outlets, etc. Check Home Depot or Lowes in the section where they sell weatherstripping and stuff.....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

that's one word

even though it's a contraction

Reply to
Robert Morien

Get you an exterior grade outlet cover. They have foam seals that should do a decent job sealing out the smoke and you can just open up the cover on either plug if you need to use it sometime.

I think they also make a foam insulator that goes between the face plate and outlet box that may also work.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

As a person who is extremely sensitive to cigarette smoke, I can assure you that there was no doubt about it. The two people that lived next door to me somked 2 to 3 packs each per day. You could smell it coming out from under their door when you walked by, and you could smell their car several stalls away. They kept a west window open all the time, which put positive pressure inside their apartment, so the smoke oozed out of their unit anywhere it could.

I never bothered the apartment manager with small details that I could easily take care of myself.

-john-

Reply to
John A. Weeks III

I had this problem when I lived in an upstairs apartment from a chain smoker (old house).

First, get an electrically safe can of foam insulation. Take the cover off the outlet and fill the gaps around the box (NOT IN THE BOX) with the foam.

Then get the insulation foams "plates" from Home Depot or wherever. Place this over the outlet. It should fit snugly. Then replace the cover.

If there is still an odor, get the plastic plugs that prevent kids from poking their fingers into the outlet and plug them in.

Good luck.

Reply to
Betsy

You can purchase those clear plastic protectors that fit into the outlets. They are "safety" items made to keep kids from poking metal objects into outlets. I use these on exterior wall outlets to cut down on drafts. I think you buy them in a six pack for cheap.

Reply to
Phisherman

to stop the airflow "so no air seems thru":

get the flat foam gaskets mentioned in this thread, at one of the warehouse home improvement stores if no place else has them, put them around all wall swithces and wall plugs, may as well get management to do your whole apartment, since the cost of the foam seals is very inexpensive

supposedly you can increase the efficiency of those foam gaskets by strategically applying some silicone caulk

also the child proof plastic plug ins for wall plugs might stop a tiny percentage of air flow (but the foam gaskets will stop most of the air flow around the wall plug)

there may be other holes in your walls or ceiling besides wall swithces and wall plugs (around windows and doors, maybe from a centrail hvac unit to your attic, from a fireplace area into the attic, around plumbing under sinks and behind showers, etc.), those other holes would need to be sealed also to stop the airflow into your apartment

look at it as your ship and you need to seal all leaks into it

there are more exotic things you could do to stop the airflow through your walls etc.if you were the homeowner but the above, done by your apartment management at their expense, may be best for you

Reply to
effi

I suspect that even if you seal up that outlet you're still going to get that smell. A little void like this creating a noticeable smell in your condo suggests a negative pressure situation. That is, their condo has a slightly higher air pressure than yours. If so, sealing up that outlet will probably just move the smell to another one.

Do they leave a window cracked or keep their condo cooler than yours?

Steve Manes Brooklyn, NY

Steve Manes