Smoke detectors for the elderly

Page 3 of 6

I didn't look that closely. But, if you had the wrong blade on one end, you could have a nice wind tunnel, and not much air movement.
I've long ago forgotten where was the one I saw.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hey, I have a couple of digital cameras, I could take a picture and post it.
TDD
I'd really appreciate th at. There is a web site (image shack dot us) that I tried earlier today. Worked well.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Mark wrote:

If you have hardwired 120VAC "tandem" smokes (the kind where if one goes off they all make noise) as are required in new houses, you can get one with relay contacts and the relay will follow the sounder (that is, the contacts will change state when any of the detectors is in alarm, not just the one with the contacts) then you can do any kind of homebrew sounder you want. Also there are versions available with 177cd strobe lights, these are usually used in ADA hotel rooms and sleeping areas of apartments for the hard of hearing. Gentex is probably the best known mfgr of these.
If someone is hard of hearing and has a house with hardwired 120VAC smokes, I would highly recommend looking into replacing the smokes with the ones with ADA strobes. Off the top of my head I think the current Gentex model is 7309, but there's different versions with and without relay contacts and for wall and ceiling mount. Not cheap, but if you've already demonstrated that the existing detectors aren't notifying the occupant...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

sorry, I was thinking of 7139 (the old part number was 7109 and it had a steady horn sound, the new one does a temporal Code-3 pattern)
http://www.gentex.com/fire_photo_pd4.html
http://www.gentex.com/pdf/data_sheets/551-0037%20710CS%20Series_Layout%201.pdf
7139CS-(W or C) is what you'd want. W or C denotes wall or ceiling mount (the light pattern of the strobe is different between the two.) They include an on-board 9V battery backup for functionality during an AC power failure.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
<stuff snipped>

Nate, thanks for the info. His is an older house with battery smokes. I got him a very bright phone flasher last year so that the phone would wake him in emergencies, but he just doesn't wake up to flashing lights. I've come to find out that the success rate of flashing lights is about 25%. Since he's got high frequency hearing loss, the best option seems to be the low frequency alarm I just bought. Whether it wakes him from sleep, we've yet to discover but at least he can actually hear this unit in the test mode. The ones with the high pitched sonalerts are completely inaudible to him although they are so loud they hurt my ears.
-- Bobby G.
<stuff snipped>

They
for
respond
Yes, thanks. It's this search that ironically led me to the detector I was seeking. A low pitched alarm that does both CO and smoke for under $40 and that runs on batteries.
Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!
-- Bobby G.

And please tell us what brand, etc, it is.
Thanks
David
<stuff snipped>

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, and in case someone else hasn't replied.
http://www.firstalert.com/carbon_monoxide_alarms_item.php?pid $
I tend to over-snip stuff sometimes and I hate to keep repeating product URLs lest I be accused of shilling or spamming.
-- Bobby G.
On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 11:27:35 -0400, "Robert Green"

They do? I have an AC smoke alarm and I've had a couple battery ones, and they seem to be mid-range. (I've played the piano for 50 years, but still have little idea what note they are, or even what octave, but they still seem midrange. I'll guess, middle C. The nearby A is 440, so C must be 500 to 550 cps.)
It sounds like a metallic kazoo, or a trombone at its mid-pitch.

Have they switched to little, high frequency sonalerts. They used to use ones as big as demitasse coffe cup. Bigger than that. More like a tea cup at a Chinese restaurant. They don't use that anymore? The bigger they are, the lower the pitch, right?
I would say to look for old ones, but one of the two styles of smoke detector doesn't work well after it is old, they say. Doesn't the other kind still work well when it is old? Which is which?

If you look at mouser.com I believe they sell a wide range of sonalerts and may give frequencies and probalby give specs. Best to use a high-speed connection becauase last I looked two years ago, every search dl's a pdf rep of the page in the catalog. So it takes a few seconds even with lo-speed dsl. But if they sell something, it seems they have every model of it, by more than one maker.
Well, they don't seem to use pdf anymore, and it loads much quicker http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=sonalert but there don't seem to be pictures on this page, plus you will have to click on data sheet for specs.

P&M, because you're being nice to an old person.

mm wrote:

there's two kinds of smokes, ionization and photoelectric. Ionization are the ones that use a small pellet of americium and once it loses its radioactivity it's toast. Photoelectric uses a LED and a photocell to measure obscuration. But that said most mfgrs. of smoke detectors will recommend replacement after 10 years or even less no matter what technology it uses. That's not saying that it won't work, but they're not willing to go on record saying that they will.
nate
(has very old smoke detectors in his house, and should know better. Do as I say, not as I do.)
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Am241 has a half life of 458 years so that really isn't much of an issue .
Photoelectric uses a LED and a photocell to

Please ignore my previous post, which you will probably see after this one.
It looks like my bomb designing career is dead before it began.

Could we make nuclear bombs out of americum? That way the radioactivity woudln't last that long. And it might be good publicity for our hemisphere.
mm wrote:

Actually, wasn't the kid who made his own mini-reactor in his mom's shed using americium from discarded smoke detectors? I didn't DAGS but I'm pretty sure that he was.
nate
(my mind is a storehouse of useless factoids)
--
http://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/radscout.html I reposted a story about that, a while back. Someone put it on the web, too. Kid with a bunch of ambition.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

As a NucE, I found the reports on that incident less than satisfying--absolutely no indications of what levels were actually found or actual numeric quantities of any of the materials to the point of determining at all what level of hazard might have been.
At the time I looked for any NRC Region incident reports and found none; my general conclusion is locals got carried away w/ chance to use their gear and run some training exercises as much (or perhaps even more) as it was a real problem...
The "several times background" kinds of numbers sound ominous but in reality, given what background levels typically are and that Am is an alpha-emitter so it's radius of being a problem even in open air is on the order of a few cm at most the hazard is localized at most. There was simply not enough other hard data to estimate what level of activations he could possibly have achieved but imo highly unlikely to have been much at all although theoretically possible some could have occurred. The Be actually was probably the most personally hazardous material as it is quite toxic in low quantities (not radioactive, poisonous-style toxic).
As for the kid's counter showing contamination around the neighborhood, I'd say the odds were/are very high he was simply carrying it around with him unwittingly on clothing, shoes, hands, etc., and measuring it rather than a direct line-of-sight measurement from the backyard area. Or, of course, given the stuff he did w/o adequate respirators, etc., there's also a good chance he had ingested/inhaled enough that it was an internal body loading he was measuring.

So what'd they give him, life without parole?
(Suppose his name was eg Mustafa?)
Just tonight on BOOKTV (cspan-2) is an hour on a book (talk by author) on something like "how the feds persecute (prosecute?) innocent people". Go to booktv.org/schedule. Or, if you miss it, and it isn't on again next weekend, follow the link for video (I think it is named), it'll take you to youtube, and you can see it there.
Wait til maybe wednesday for them to get it up over there.
:-(
David
Copy to Arthur because it mentions a shed. :)
On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 10:19:59 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

If he does this when he's 15 or so, imagine what size reactor he'll make when he's 30.
I was at hamfest last week and someone had had a centrifuge for sale. It held six big testtubes.

<stuff snipped>

I thought about used units, but then decided against it. Older units, even of the photoelectric design, change with age. Anything that depends on clear plastic staying crystal clear probably has serious longevity constraints, especially if exposed to smoke, grease and other contaminants.
-- Bobby G.