Smoke Detector Timing

Are these "tandem" detectors? you might have to take each down, disconnect the tandem wire, then see which one is still beeping, then replace that detector.

If they are above "a certain age" (what that is depends on your personal comfort level) you may simply want to replace them all.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I have First Alert smoke detectors located throughout my house (each bedroom, main hallways, and two non-bedrooms.) The whole series are hardwired and I'm anal about changing the batteries every 6 months.

This last week, two of the units started beeping at random times (usually late at night around 3-4 am); not the full-alert beeping, just that 1-second ear-splitting, I'm out of battery power and you should change me beep.

I took them down, immediately changed their batteries (9V Duracell) and put them back into place. The beeps stopped.

...Until this morning at 5am.

Six of the eight units started beeping randomly. It daisy-chained down the hallway in a weird march. The beeps were first 20 minutes apart but have graduated to every 20 seconds now.

I've blown out each unit, tested them (and my ears are still ringing), and put them back into place. Still, every 60-90 seconds, the damn things march down the hallway beeping away.

Thoughts or ideas to cure this annoying morning alarm?

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

While you're waiting for answers, you might poke around this site and see if there's anything helpful:

JoeSpareBedroom

[snip]

Yes; six per wire.

It couldn't possibly be easy. That just wouldn't be fun.

That was going to be my "final" solution.

Thanks for the answer.

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

I've worked for two different suppliers of fire alarms for large commercial buildings, if you have any kind of trouble such that the control panel doesn't tell you what it is, troubleshooting is Not Fun. That's just a fact of life :(

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

It's funny what one does at 5am when awakened by this type of activity. BTDT. Thank, though.

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

Some earplugs are better than others while troubleshooting. I like the kind you roll between the fingers then insert into the ear canal (works great in a school cafeteria). Have you called your local FD? They often offer friendly help and/or suggestions. Find First Alert customer support.

Reply to
Phisherman

I have managed student housing with hardwired smokes for years. They always fail between 3:00 and 5:00 AM. :-)

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

SNIP HAPPENS

Extinguish the fire?

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

Wasn't no smoke ergo no fire.

Reply to
The Ranger

Did you use the regular Duracell Akaline batteries? Smoke detectors don't like the digital batteries at all.

Reply to
JJ

single supplemental smoke detectors with a light feature to light the way for an escape might be a future option to choose to see which one is sounding. we learned in the 80's from the building electrical inspector that interconnected multiple dwelling apartment smoke alarms like you describe are often completely disconnected by tenants because when one tenant is frying bacon it sets off all alarms; high humidity can do it also. nobody gets any sleep or peace. in the case where you'd be much safer with a 9 volt only smoke alarm in each place in addition to your system, you will be covered on the occasions of troubleshooting where you have turned off the red breaker panel for diagnosis and still need fire protection.

Reply to
buffalobill

One thing you could try is to reset the alarms. Do this by disconnecting the smoke alarm from the power and removing the battery. Then push the test button for 30 - 60 seconds. Do this on all of them and then reinstall. Make sure all of the electrical connections are tight by twisting the wires together with pliers. If the smoke alarms are over ten years old you might as well replace them as they have reached their rated life.

Reply to
John Grabowski

There's no such thing a digital battery. The marketing bullshit on the label doesn't change a thing. All alkaline batteries have a similar discharge curve.

Batteries that have a very sharp knee on the discharge curve are undesirable as they die so fast that there is little warning.

Reply to
AZ Nomad