Smoke detector and CO detector installed next to each other?

Is there any code that specifies a minimum required distance between a ceiling-mounted smoke detector and a ceiling-mounted CO (carbon monoxide) detector? My initial thought is that since there are commercially available combo smoke/CO detectors, installing them next to each other wouldn't be an issue. However, I wasn't sure if there was any code or other requirement that applied to the installation of two discrete units.
slc snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Nope, shouldn't make a difference at all. Aesthetically, it might look nicer to use a combo unit if they're going to be side-by-side. Bear in mind that a CO detector doesn't need to be mounted high like a smoke detector, so you can install one pretty much anywhere there's airflow.
no
slc snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Do not be concerned : they won't breed.