Smoke Alarms

I have six Firex AD smoke alarms hardwired in my house. They also have battery backup. I know that when the unit emits a low beep every minute the battery is weak. I have a situation where one of the alarms sounds loudly for 10 to 15 seconds and sometimes setting another unit off. There is definitely no smoke setting it off. What can it be?
Its probably a bad detector. You could try vacuuming it, sometimes dust in the unit can cause false alarms, but I'd just replace it

Time to replace a detector? <scratches head>
Back in the 70/eary 80's we got smoke detectors installed in the hallway of our apartments, we were woken many times due to false alarms. The roaches would crawl in and setup the detector. So check to see if you have a 'bug' living in your detector.
hth,
tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

Firex smoke alarms have a five year warrantee, by the way.

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 07:49:52 -0500, "nobody"

Have to check mine. You saying that instantly made me wonder. If the warrenty is < 10 years, then why every tens years to replace them?
Just curious......
Tom @ www.MedicalJobList.com

The Radioactive material that allows the unit to sense smoke loses its radioactivity after ten years. A warrantee for half of the lifespan of the unit isn't bad, is it?

Humidity?????