Smoke Alarms

With a battery-operated alarm located in a central hallway on 2nd floor of a townhouse. Alarm goes off with no apparent reason (no fire, no smoke source, no heat source). Alarm stayed on steady for few minutes but then shut off. Any suggestions as to what may cause this apparent false alarm?
Jacque Asse wrote:

defective, low battery, steam from shower, spiders?
I don't know the details. I do know there are at least two types & you should be able to find the details fast on the internet. One is more expersive than the other, so a minimum price may be closer to $30 than $10 becasue of this, or $40 instead of $20. One is better suited to specific applications. One uses a "light" beam, and the other? And of course there are battery and hardwired units. You can even get combo units which use both smoke sensor technologies, and units than double as CO (carbon monoxide) detectors, etc.

-

Interesting: I was going to mention this smoke alarm business, again, although it's been discussed here previously. Shortly after I opened the the front door this morning; although not as humid outside as yesterday, the smoke alarm at bottom of basement stairs above and outside the workshop door, started sounding intermittently. Changed the battery for a new one just to make sure but it continued. It certainly seems to confirm that certain (cheap ones anyway) will sound off due to humidity. We have a total of three smoke alarms and a CO (Carbon Monoxide) detector/alarm in passageway adjacent to bedrooms. This one seems to be the most sensitive to humidity; warm moist air must filter down to the cooler basement thus increasing the relative humidity and setting off the alarm? This one also occasionally sounds if wood binds while running it through the bench saw!
accumulation of dust. Try replacing the unit

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 14:22:49 GMT, "Jacque Asse"

That you can see.

You don't know it is a false alarm.
How do you tell if there is smoke? With a smoke alarm. Get a new second smoke alarm of the same sort (ionic or photoelectric) and put it up close to the first one. Then compare the results.
A neighbor of mine thought their alarm, also on the ceiling of the second floor hall, was going off for no good reason, so they removed it. A few weeks or months later a fire burned out their whole kitchen, with smoke damage to the rest of the house and water damage in the basement from the fire department.
On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 14:22:49 GMT, "Jacque Asse"

How old is the fire alarm?
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info
snipped-for-privacy@only.com says...

Good point, but I'd buy a new one even if it's not old. False alarms aren't useful. Next thing, the batteries come out.
--
Keith

Exactly!
Too often I hear, the alarm kept going off, so I killed it. :(
tom @ www.MeetANewFriend.com
Just Joshin wrote:

I've had this problem periodically... maybe once every five years or so. Each time it was corrected with the vacuum cleaner. Alternately, you could try blowing it out with a can of compressed air.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
on 7/14/2007 10:22 AM Jacque Asse said the following:

We rented a motor home one time and the smoke alarm went off every time one of the women used a hair spray.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY