smoke alarm puzzle

Neighbor's house has five smoke alarms wired so that all go beep when one has alarm. Two of them, at the end of the alarm line, suddenly started beeping. I helped him replace the 9V battery in each but did not help. He bought two new ones and I replaced. Did not fix. Disconnected the red alarm lead on the one at the end of the line and it stopped beeping but had no effect on other beeper. Is it possible that the other three need replacing??? What is life of these Firex smoke detectors? The house is six years old in AZ. Thank you for consideration, Seamus J. Wilson

They are rated for 10 year life. Environmental conditions can shorten that.
Smoking or dusty environment.
There is a recall out for some units: http://www.firexsafety.com/recalldocs/distributorbuilderfaq.html
If you were able to replace the unit without changing the harness you got an older one because Kiddie bought them out and the new harness does not match the old one.
--
Colbyt
Thank you for reply. Had to use the supplied harness so it is new unit, model i4618. Best, Seamus J.

Colbyt wrote:

Hi, 7 to 10 years. I think ones beeping might not be the culprit. Up stream in the chain one bad guy could be causing it. Disconnect all sensing line and start reconnecting one by one and see which one is causing it.

Take one of the non-beeping ones and put it where the beeping one is. Does it beep? Now take the one that beeped and put it where the other non-beeping was. Does it beep?
By doing this test, it should show you if the problem is in the wiring or the detector.
Hank

Probably just dust or a bug, every few years I get one that false alarms and I just use a can of compressed air, my detectors are over 20 yrs old and fine, I dont believe this sales gimmic that you need to replace them every 10 years, but they should be blown out regularly.
ransley wrote:

Hmm, 20 year old? Are you testing it with what? Just test buton which is not real test? Commercial testing is with real thing out of spray can.