Smoke Alarm Problems

Hi,
Had a First Alert battery powered Smoke alarm on the second floor of my Colonial. At night, for the first time ever, it gave a few beeps, then nothing from then on.
It is summer, and I would estimate the ceiling was perhaps around 80 degrees or so. Replaced it with a new Kidde Smoke alarm. Their good one.
Same thing. At night, it gives a few beeps, then is quiet for the rest of the night.
Very disturbing.
Any thoughts on what might be happening ?
Do these things get funny at only 80-85 degrees ? Doesn't seem all that hot
Bob
An alarm is a constant signal, low battery is beeps.