Smoke alarm

Page 2 of 2
Not,
Many smoke detectors come with a "silence" button to stop nuisance alarms. You push the button and the detector stops for a preset time. This time is much shorter than an hour or two
Dave M.
On 3/14/2013 10:43 AM, David L. Martel wrote:

A "silence" or "hush" feature should be a good fix for the OP. I think Kidde will silence for about 10 minutes. And the one I installed doesn't just silence, it reduces the sensitivity temporarily. Heavy smoke will still set it off (and can't be silenced).
Notat Home wrote:

Thanks for the information. It goes off with normal cooking that lasts a while, like baking or roasting a turkey. I think part of it might be the configuration of our kitchen, as the range is very near the stairway.
I'll encourage her to use the exhaust fan more often. And I think I will look for a new alarm and a new place to mount it.

You might consider that, without the smoke alarm to use as a timer........ how will she know when the food is ready ?????
......... I'm jus' sayin'........

Kidde makes a smoke detector with a remote hush feature, but it looks like it's only available in Canada. I can't find a US source for it.
http://www.kiddecanada.com/utcfs/Templates/Pages/Template-53/0,8062,pageId%3D69100%26siteId%3D463,00.html
It seems that First Alert made (or still makes?) a unit that can hushed with any remote (TV, DVD, etc.) but if you search for this unit on the First Alert site, it doesn't say anything about it working with a remote. Might be worth a call to see if they still make one.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
On 03/14/2013 08:36 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[snip]

I have used one with a remote TEST feature. It could get really annoying, when I need to change the TV volume and get interrupted with "BEEP-BEEP-BEEP (a few seconds) BEEP-BEEP-BEEP".
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

I did read some reviews that complained of the same issue. You had to be careful where you mounted it for the very reason you mentioned. I assume your's did not mute via the remote?
I'm pretty good at internet searches, but since I can't find the Kidde "Smoke Alarm with Remote Control Hush" model on the kidde.com site - only at kiddecanada.com - I wonder if they are not available in the US.
Maybe I'll give them a call...
On 03/15/2013 02:16 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[snip]

Right.
[snip]
BTW, I never found the cause of my sig getting damaged (no EOL after my name). It comes from a file and the line ending is definitely there. If the sig has more lines than that, the others are OK.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

When mine goes off, I grab and shake it at mid level, clearing the smoke. My single level is easy to get to, but I intend to alter the position, since it's in the kitchen. It's a dirt cheap detector. My turbo oven will set it off if I see the least bit of smoke, taking out the basket. Not near main cooking area.
Greg

re: "When mine goes off, I grab and shake it at mid level..."
I'm glad I kept reading. For a minute there I wasn't sure that you were still talking about a smoke detector.
Notat Home wrote:

Hmmm. Too proud to reveal your real email address?

Is it necessary to answer his question here?