Smoke alarm

I had a smoke alarm that would be set off my steam from the cooktop. It was *NOT* doing its job.

Reply to
krw

And whoever installed it in a location where it would be affected by steam from a cooktop, bathroom, shower, etc. wasn't following instructions.

Most detectors I've seen in the past caution against such placement. MOF, I'm installing a new one in the alarm system right now and the instructions state quite clearly that the moisture can enter the sensing area causing false alarms. (This is with a photoelectric sensor vs. ionization chamber - not sure, from memory, if they have the same placement restrictions. I think so though.)

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Not so much. Smoke alarms used to be quite sensitive and not at all selective.

Done and done. Still was set off constantly. We replaced that one with a model that had a sleep timer (too short but it worked), otherwise there would never have been any batteries in it. I haven't had trouble in some time, though.

Reply to
krw

Really? Somebody better tell the manufacturer of the ones I'm installing. The install manual is dated December 2012 and the manufacture date on the units is 2/27/2013. That's where the instructions below came from.

Well, nobody is saying the damn things are fool proof. Nobody - including UL or NEC, etc. can figure out EVERYTHING or every placement that can interact with them. That's why they still equip them (at least the better ones) with silencing buttons (typically, same as the test button) to shut them down for ~ 10 minutes.

Not trying to be a wise-ass but maybe the cook in your house is not the best in the world? Maybe the detector was defective. Maybe...

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

You don't read very well, do you? Try again, this time try mouthing the words.

Good grief!

Good grief. Try reading. Then try thinking. You might find it amazingly productive.

You really *are* stupid. Nothing wise about you. Ass, certainly.

Reply to
krw

Ever notice how, when unable to back up an argument with facts, krw resorts to ad hominem attacks?

A sure sign of ignorance when you look across the newsgroups and see his same patterned resp> You don't read very well, do you? Try again, this time try mouthing > the words.

Plonk!

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I agree with what you say about krw. He quickly gets hostile and goes on the attack when all that's required is a civil reply.

Reply to
trader4

Wow, another who must demonstrate is childishness.

I get annoyed when people refuse to read, then attribute things to me I didn't say. Strawmen are another favorite; one of your usual tools.

Reply to
krw

Yes, it doesn't take very much at all to get you annoyed. You should take some anger management therapy.

Reply to
trader4

I have a similar prob. So I just slide a small, bright orange cover over the offending s/d.

They are like a small shower cap that fits snugly over the s/d. This happens at the start of cooking. Then when done, you can't forget that the plastic cover is on the unit. It is BRIGHT ORANGE.

Done and done... Works!

Reply to
Papa Pat

quoted text -

You should look in a mirror, T4.

Projecting, again.

Reply to
krw

I haven't had the problem (at least regularly) in 20 years, or so. The newer alarms are much more selective. False alarms seem to be a thing of the past.

Reply to
krw