smelly yard

Page 2 of 2
Sarge wrote:

Not ordinary lime (crushed limestone.) Use mason's lime (slaked lime, or calcium hydroxide.) It might kill the grass, but he says that's OK. I would also till in some sand.
Bob
Keep your dogs away from that stuff for sure.

'My question is what can I put on it to neutralize the smell? I am getting ready to deck the remaining yard in so I don't care if it kills the grass, (what little there is). I also have 2 dogs and the smell of urine stays forever. Baking soda doesn't work and I have actually tried Febreeze. It's just a rank smell. Thanks! Suzi'
ME: Suzi...how bout some nice smelling lilac bushes or simular ?? Plant some things that will give you a fragarent smell thruout the summer.
Do any neighbors have septic systems? The algae is worrisome and suggestive of biologic material rotting. I suspect either a sewer line leak or seepage into your yard from an old septic system. I would dig a test hole with a posthole digger in the greenest part of the yard, to see what kind of mung seeps into it. Sewage tainted water typically turns the earth around the area green, especially in sunlight, and has a really pungent smell. Could also be swamp gases/liquids seeping upwards around your yard.