Smelly vacuum cleaner

We have a Hoover cleaner that, after 3 years of use, has started to smell very bad. We have a dog that sheds a lot. While vacuuming, the cleaner begins to smell. I have taken it apart and cleaned everything, put in a new bag, cleaned the filter, etc. It still smells of DOG. Any ideas other then buying a new vacuum? Chuck B.

This isn't much different than what happens with a laundry basket in warm weather. Clothes contain perspiration, which begins to really stink if it sits around long enough. Dog hair's the same - it also contains oils from their skin. At least your clothes are useful, while the dog is not.
Buy a BIG box of baking soda. Put a cup or so into the hose, hold both ends closed, shake to coat insides, and wait a day. Now, take the vacuum outside, put in a clean bag, connect the hose, and vacuum a lot of baking soda into the bag. Wait a day. Take out the bag and wipe down as many internal surfaces as you can with a mild solution of bleach & water applied with a DAMP sponge, not dripping water. Let the machine dry thoroughly.
If this doesn't work, you might try one of the powder carpet cleaning products. I recall seeing one specifically made to get rid of dog stink. Repeat the procedure above, using the carpet cleaner instead of baking soda.
As far as the dog itself, this will do the job:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/headers/hdr_firearms_mp.jpg
Chuck B. wrote:

Short of getting rid of the dog, you might try some Lysol sprayed into the cleaner when it is running. See if that may help.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Of course, try new bag and new filter. Or wash the bag if it is washable. I remember that smell from many years ago. Back in the mid 70s, we got a central vac .... no smell ..... it all goes outside.
Joseph Meehan wrote:

It sounds like the hose is contaminated. Try soaking it in a tub of bleach & hot water for a few days, hosing it out.