smell water

For weeks, there was a sewage smell coming from "around" the washing machine. ThenI found about 4" of smelly water in the bottom of the washing machine. Iit was fine for about a week, when I again found it with several inches of smelly water.
Could someone pls tell me why this is happening and what can i do?
1) "in the bottom" - meaning, in the wash tub where the clothing goes, or somewhere in the frame of the machine?
2) Does the drain tube hang over the edge of an adjacent sink, or connect directly into a drain pipe?
3) Is the machine in the cellar, or upstairs? If upstairs, have there been problems/odors in other areas, like sinks?

REMI wrote:

We had this problem once with a washing machine in our cellar. There was a backup of the sewage system during a heavy rainfall, and sewage apparently backed up into the washing machine through the drain hose.
This was 14 years ago, so I don't remember many other details. I do remember that it was an unpleasant mess!
I guess another possibility in your case is that the washer isn't successfully discharging all of the wash water. Perhaps some of the water is staying in the discharge hose and then siphoning back into the washer. If wash water sits for a long time, it will probably get rancid and start to smell bad.
--
Grant Petty