smell from wood burning stove ?

We've bought a house with an old cast iron Fisher woodburning stove. If it's been idle a few days and we start a fire we get this strong "refrigerator" smell. It's a musty smell like an ice cube tray only stronger. What is this and is it normal?

--zeb

Reply to
zeb7k

It gets cold and moist and absorbs a lot of odors at times. I've experienced that with others stoves. The ash inside holds the odor also.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Maybe it was not used much in the past the flue was left open and moist air has circulated in it over time growing mold in the ash residue . I would think a good long hot fire would kill anything that is smelling, even old ash can stink, or maybe it was a mouses house

Reply to
m Ransley