Smell from air purifier

Tried an air purifier. Air coming out smells funny. Returned it. Now find they all do it. Whats the cause?
LB
Do those units have Ion generators? Then it is Ozone you smell. Turn off the Ion function
snipped-for-privacy@notmine.com wrote:

A good air filter will not smell funny. It sounds like like you have been trying things like the Ionic breeze. If that is the case, it will smell a little like the smell after a spring thunder shower. That is because what you are smelling is ozone. Ozone is unhealthy. In addition those Ionic breeze "filters" are almost totally worthless. They do remove contaminants, but they remove them so slow that the make no noticeable impact on the total pollutants in the air except for ozone they are adding.
If you want cleaner air look to a good HEPA filter and expect to pay for new filters and hear a little hum as it moves the air. The TV adds are extreme efforts at telling a lie without actually telling a technical lie.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Thanks Suspicions confirmed.
LB

And even better in addition to that, is a UV-C unit installed on the return and supply side of the central air system.. Expect to pay between $400 and $1500 for each one, depending on the quality of the unit.
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Ozone is in the same category as Cool-Whip. Breathing too much of it is not recommended. Ozone WILL, however, kill odors much better than those pissant charcoal filters. Get a bona-fide Ozone generator (500-900ug/hr) and you can easily co-exist with a rotting horse carcass.
You've got to keep it on most of the time - Ozone reacts with almost everything to decompose into Oxygen in less than 30 minutes.

Ionic Breeze machines are not for filtering - they are for buying and selling.

And an Ozone generator set to "Surge."
Far easier than cleaning the cat boxes.
JerryMouse wrote:

Well we don't have cats, nor a dead horse, and the the ozone smell bothers me so I thank all who replied and will forget it.
LB
Yea but, . . Ozone in low levels such as produced by the unit isn't worth worrying about. In higher levels, it will irritate lungs. I doubt that you will find any medical/ legal claims proving injury by using this unit. But that being said, I agree that the unit is a waste of money. Refer to Consumer Reports analysis. If your worried about air purification, first look to causes (smoking, pets, dirt tracked into the house, etc. ) Then look into microparticle furnace air filters. If that doesn't work, the drum HEPA filters work well - although I find the noise bothering.

Low levels? Yea, I guess 1 cigarette a day is OK for your kids. And they say 1 or 2 drinks a day reduces heart attacks, so Give The kids A Beer or TWO ! Ozone exposure limit by EPA for 8 hrs is 50ppb. Ozone output of all filters I have seen is a minimum 50ppb, 24x7. So although there is dispursion a tight apt can get an unhealthy level, Ozone is an oxidant. There are Radiation exposure limits, do you go anywhere near ANY radiation exposure, not unless you have to. Ozone has just been recently at a NBC , Reuters article been linked to heart failure. Tests are underway, research is young, At one time cigarettes were thought safe. So since indoor air is already polluted with chemicals in most everything out gassing, Why add more! Oxone is proven in many many tests to agravate Asthma, Google ,Ozone and its negative health effects. If the EPA limit is 50 ppb 8 hr. Is there a safe level ??? Why be a lab monkey. But we are already.

Mark..you are forgetting one thing...that the O3 made by say, an O3 generation lamp, lasts in the airstream literally seconds...not minutes,or hours....most is gone by the time it enters the home....therefore, its almost pointless to argue the O3 debate in relation to the production of such by electronic air filters and lamps...
CB Im not referring to lamps or the furnace filters which I agree do disperse and cannot even be smelled . Actualy to room units like Ionic Breeze which you smell the ozone and are in one room, usually the one you use. Some people have the Ionic breeze infront of them, since what you smell is O3 the concentration at that point or room has to be higher before it dissipates through out the structure. I do not know of a cheap 03 meter or any tests of what I feel is an issue, You do not smell disipated o3 of lamps or furnace filters, but the Ionic breeze is doing just that and that is what you smell 03. If you smell 03 the concentrations in that area must be considerable. A lung doctor I talked to agreed on the point of Ionic breeze close exposure. Maybe im wrong, but research keeps verifying my fear.
snipped-for-privacy@notmine.com wrote:

Lung cancer.
It is already a proven fact, that high levels of ozone is considered a carcinogen.
Eco Quest [Breeze] units are ion generators [high voltage fields] that create ozone in high levels.
I wouldn't recommend these expensive voltage doubler circuit air units to anyone. Their expensive to purchase [but not manufacture.]
There is a new unit on the market [Sun-Pure] that, uses low level ion collector(s) in concert with high density media filters and UV-C lamps. This device removes particulate matter to the .3 micron level without high level ozone generation and the UVC lamps kill air borne bacteria. All of this is proven and traceable. To summarize, it contains a 5 micron prefilter, activated carbon filter, hospital grade HEPA filter, titanium photo-catalytic converter, and high output germicidal UVC lamp. And yes, these need replacement filters often since they remove more particulate matter from the air than most competitive filters. This is NOT A WHOLE HOUSE filter, but a single room filter unit. There are other choices for whole house filtering which can be considerably expensive to install and maintain.
--
Zyp