Smarter Programmable Thermostat?

Oh - OK. I see now, it is the short cycle thing. My bad for not picking up on that. Now that I see the issue. I think this is a really good idea for the reasons that everyone is discussing here. Sorry about that folks. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

CHINA TWOWIN STONE COMPANY EXPORT Granite Counter Tops,Kitchen Granite,Bathroom Counter Top,Granite Kitchen Island,Bar Counter Top,Bathroom Counter Tops,Vanity Counter Top,Granite Tiles & Marble Tiles,Granite Tiles,Marble Tiles,Granite Slab & Marble Slab,Granite Slab,Marble Slab,Tub Surround ,Bath Tub Surround,Stone Wall Panel,Stone Wall Tiles,Window Sills,Window Stool,Stepping Stone,China Stepping Stone,Paving Stone

export

So make your setback 10:55. No wait then it might come on at 10:50. So make your setback 10:50. No wait.....

So if it wants to come on at 10:50, let it but don't shut it down until 11:00. If it wants heat at 10:55, don't bother.

Or if the thermostat demands heat at 10:59:59, turn the heat on, but run it for X minutes even if the setback occurs.

If the point is to prevent short-cycles, either of the above would do it. If the point is to save energy, set it back at noon. ;-)

Reply to
Keith Williams

Even if the furnace is running almost continuously, this in only going to save you 1 extra start/stop cycle a day, during the heating season. What's the point of even worrying about it?

Reply to
Goedjn

I know about the problem with short OFF periods (with a compressor). What's the problem with short ON periods?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Well, too short of an off period for a compressor is obviously worse. But, I think what he's worrying about is that short cycles for just about any heating system are less efficient than longer ones. In his case, the heat pumps will draw more current during start up and probably doesn't reach peak efficiency for a couple of minutes.

Even a simple system like gas fired forced air has short cycle issues. Every time it cycles, some energy is wasted at the end, where the blower shuts down, but some heat still remains to be lost up the flue. It doesn't likely really amounts to all that much if it happens on average less than once a day, but it's still there.

Reply to
trader4

A short cycle may be very hard on equipment (compressors?). It may be better allowing a "full" cycle before setting back the thermostat.

Reply to
Keith Williams

There may be an issue on the other end too (perhaps more so). If the thermostat is just about to be set higher and the heat is already on, keep it in longer to avoid a short "off" cycle and increase efficiency.

Reply to
Keith Williams