"Smart" Meters made them sick

Page 8 of 13
On Feb 13, 5:06 am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

As are probably 95% of the rest of the installed ones.
On Feb 13, 10:06 am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I have PV panels on my house roof that feed back into the grid. Quite a lot of my neighbours have them too.
Mark wrote:

My city put them on the "Slow-School Zone" signs. Evidently the panels charge a battery most of the day and the battery runs the flashing sign maybe four hours.

Oh, we pay for them too. I paid for 2 years before I got one and as far as i can tell the charge is forever. gotta love them bastards of utility commision.............if they were hangin from a rope
On 2/12/2013 1:44 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Mental cases will always find something to go mental over.

s,

se

Another example of American paranoia. The same halfwits wander around with a cellphone clamped to their ear.
On 2/12/2013 3:07 PM, harry wrote:

Good grief Harry, you English invented crazy. ^_^
TDD
Totally 100% bogus, of course.
On 02/12/2013 02:44 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Nothing new here, just more lazy Obama supporters looking for an easy payday!

No, for the most part they're anti-government rightwing nutso freaks who think that everything new is a government conspiracy of some sort.
On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 06:44:26 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Obama had nothing to do with it. 99% of the old analog meters were worn out and reading low. They needed to be replaced anyway, just to recover lost revenue. When you add the value to the bottom line of laying off all the meter readers, it is a win-win for the poco.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That's only part of the story.
There are three main benefits to smart meters:
1. They replaced aging analog meters that were inaccurate, failing, etc.
2. They eliminated meter readers, and reading errors (and a few jobs).
3. Since smart meters can log usage based on time of day, they allow incentives to be offered for consumers to use more power during off peak times and less during peak times. Already we see utilities offering promotions such as "free nights" to encourage people to do laundry or whatever in the evenings. This peak shifting effort helps reduce the need to build new generating facilities and also helps to reduce the peak loads on aging transmission circuits.
On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:32:58 AM UTC-5, Pete C. wrote:

NO NO NO!
You are clouding the issue with facts and logic.
Obama did it.
(Don't mention that the power company first installed a smart meter at the farm in the early 1990's. Did the whole peak/off peak bit, and allowed the meter readers to download the data from inside their trucks. It's still Obama's fault.)

Dedicated to all Right Wing Nutjobs, and the people who laugh at them:
26 Ways President Obama Has Completely Ruined the Country
http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/ways-obama-has-completely-ruined-the-country
On 2/13/2013 12:12 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Lefties with a sense of humor. Will wonders ever cease?
Could have been righties, I think.

Lefties with a sense of humor. Will wonders ever cease?
On 2/13/2013 9:32 AM, Pete C. wrote:

Bang on. This is all about utilities moving to increase profits by cutting costs and creating a variable pricing structure, where they'll charge more during periods of peak demand. It's just a sound business decision, not a conspiracy.

.

If it's a sound business decision, then why did Obama have to pour borrowed money into smart meters? Don't utilities know more about what their costs are, how to reduce them, what eqpt to buy, than Obama and the libs?
<What exactly was the real problem that these smart meters fixed that made their deployment cost worth it? Or was it some of the Obama green energy boondogle money?>
Smart meters enable the power company to easily determine what areas and customers are without power after a major storm. Without power at the meter, they do not report in and that information can be used to draw up maps of what areas need the greatest repair resources.
No, it's not an "Obama green energy boondoggle" but thinking so could easily be characterized as "Obama Derangement Syndrome" especially when obvious benefits of the new technology are overlooked in an attempt to score some pretty small political points. Sheesh.
Smart businessmen should realize that some people are willing to pay a premium for "green" things and capitalize on that willingness to spend. Dumb ones kvetch about it but don't make a cent.
--
Bobby G.

ily

If it's all so important and economically viable for the utilities, pays for itself, etc, then why did Obama's stimulus pour money we don't have into smart meters? That sure sounds like an Obama green energy boondogle to me. Take money that we don't have and use it to pay for things that should fund themselves.

The smart businessmen were the ones that were politically connected so that they could get the US taxpayers to pay for it. Actually, future USA taxpayers, since a lot of it was borrowed money.