"Smart" Meters made them sick

I have seen lots of bad drives. Far more than half are W/D Caviar.

I will not even buy one. I do agree the real old Fujitu may be the best (1.6 g era) I still have a few that work but you can't do much with that small a drive unless you are still running W/98 on something.

Reply to
gfretwell

Back in the 90's I was building and selling a lot of white box computers and one of my suppliers started selling a very inexpensive line of hard drives manufactured in India. I don't remember the name of the darn things but an unusual amount of curse words often drowned out the actual name whenever anyone dared mention the accursed things. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

om...

quoted text -

The "free market"! Just a bunch of crooks. I thought even a dope like you would see that now. Capitalists are the ones that sent children down coal mines. They'd do it again if there wasn't laws against it.

They're the ones that left places like Detroit as a shit hole. Who's going to clear that up? The taxpayer in the end that's who. While the bankster walk off with all the cash.

American serfs.Heh Heh. In the pockets of your elite.

So don' t come the crap about free markets. If there was such a thing, they would all be bust by now. The biggest state handout was to the banksters, so you are talking shit (as usual)

Why is all this happening of late?

It is the downfall of the USSR. While it existed,they were looking over their shoulders. Wondering if it could happen in the USA. That is why so much money was spent engineering the downfall if communism. Now it has gone, they have a free hand. They can do what they like. They can rob the treasury. And we can all see the result.

Reply to
harry

om

Because they are accreted at a miniscule/zero rate compared with extraction.

Reply to
harry

te:

The difference is that sun power is being "expended" whether we utilise it or not.

Reply to
harry

.

So how about what the banksters sucked up?

Reply to
harry

When fossil fuel are sufficiently depleted, you will be living in a cave. Unless we have a substitute.

The process may already have begun. I hear a lot of people in America don't even have a cave and must live in tents.

Reply to
harry

I'm sorry that happened to you, but what are the odds of me having a desk top drive and two external drives from the same batch? Not in my life time. Why not go with my explaination which is that I picked up a malware trojan that destroyed my drives? Is that answer unacceptable for some reason?

.

Not the same brand and model from the same batch?? I bought 5 WD black 500gb drives on the same day. 3 failed that day. 2 stayed on my shelf and failed within 3 months - either on installation or shortly after. They were within 100 in production sequence according to the serial number.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There was news about two weeks or so ago, about a really bad virus hiding out in one of the universally used software thingies....Java? I didn't bother with it because my computer is mechanically sick anyway and whatever is out there has always been snagged by my friend, Norton. My former family of computer professionals (four of them) each, at some time or another, sent me a virus which Norton caught. They all claimed Norton was junk, but I'm happy with it. Looking for a 'puter not made in China. My first was a Micron, gift from my brother, with quality we'll never see again.

Reply to
Norminn

Per Stormin Mormon:

I don't know enough to speculate on the combination of desktop and external, but the time I lost multiple drives in one day it turned out to be a drive controller on the way out that was frying drives as they were connected.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Free? Well, if you are on the government dole, perhaps.

The amount of the sun's energy falling on the earth is about 1300 watts/sq meter. At the equator. At noon. With no clouds.

Assuming 50% efficiency of a photovalactic converter, to supply enough electricity for California (~50GW) and adjusting for latitude, 12 hours (average) of darkness, and cloud cover, you would need a solar farm of approximately 1,200 sq miles.

This is about the size of the Los Angeles basin.

Can you imagine the cost to construct and maintain such a behemoth?

This idea can, however, be improved by moving the orbit of the earth closer to the sun, which is just as practicle.

The good news about the plan, though, is that everybody in Los Angeles would be living in the shade.

Reply to
HeyBub

Oh, bother.

Rome denuded North Africa for wood to make charcoal. The wood ran out. Later, Europeans did the same to Europe. The forests disappeared. But a substitute was found.

Coal powered the Industrial Revolution and coal is still a big player. But oil was found to be more convenient and cheaper.

Nuclear power is a possible long-term substitute, but it's still in its infancy.

IF - and that's a BIG "if" - we come close to running out of petroleum, something else will come along.

Reply to
HeyBub

..

Almost all the TARP money lent to financial institutions has been repaid with interest. The govt still owns some equity positions in companies like GM which has considerable value. Last time I checked, of the $700bil authorized, the estimate of the amount still at risk was down to $70bil. The govt could actually wind up with a profit, because none of those companies failed. Not a bad track record for what it accomplished.

Now, I'd like to see a full accounting of the Obama green energy stimulus money and the loans they backed for all the Solyndras. The best part is that at least with TARP that was started in the last days of Bush, the deals were structured so that the govt had the likelihood of recovering their money. That is completely different from the Obama green energy boondogle. They just guaranteed loans for the skunks at all the Solyndras. To come out with no losses, every one of those companies would have to succeed. The govt, got no payments, no equity, no stock options, no upside in return for the risky loan guarantees. THAT is about as dumb as dumb gets. And if the companies went on to become the next Apple, the taxpayers got nothing, they just didn't lose the money they would have had to pay on the loans if the companies defaulted.

And there are examples of companies in Nevada (hello harry reid), where as soon as they received a new Obama loan for $100mil that was supposed to be used to create jobs, within days they used that money to pay back another unsecured lender for $100mil. So that investor got their money back with interest, then within about 18 months, the company went kaput and the taxpayers lost $100mil.

Reply to
trader4

# # Because they are accreted at a miniscule/zero rate compared # with extraction.

Is that so ? And on what do you base this claim ?

Reply to
Attila Iskander

# # The difference is that sun power is being "expended" # whether we utilise it or not.

poor harry Somehow imagines that stating a followed by by, automatically connects them.

Reply to
Attila Iskander

# # So how about what the banksters sucked up? #

You mean the ones that Obama threw money at ? Why should they not "suck up" any money thrown at them by idiot politicians ? They'd be fools not to..

Reply to
Attila Iskander

# # When fossil fuel are sufficiently depleted, you will be living # in a cave. Unless we have a substitute. # # The process may already have begun. I hear a lot of people # in America don't even have a cave and must live in tents.

Why should they They know how to build houses Don't they do that over their in the UK ?? Build houses

Reply to
Attila Iskander

And let's not forget that it's the pinky greenies who want to stop using nuclear, coal, oil, whatever.. All for our own good naturally..

Reply to
Attila Iskander

Tornado threat around here, I figure even if the bank building is gone the vault will still be there.

Reply to
Pete C.

Let's be clear, was the drive destroyed or just the data on the drive? (more likely the data was just made unavailable by wiping out the partition table)

Reply to
gfretwell