"Smart" Meters made them sick

Quite possible the drive just calved by itself without external input??

Reply to
clare

Has anyone actually seen a drive with a virus clobbered firmware? I think if I see a corrupted drive I am thinking deer, not unicorn.

Reply to
gfretwell

Only the drunks.

Reply to
harry

:

are creeping back to $4 a gallon.

white men manipulating the gas prices.

The prices of all fuels are linked. If the price of one rises, the others will follow.

Reply to
harry

te:

s are creeping back to $4 a gallon.

d white men manipulating the gas prices.

A fixed amount. There is no limit on sunshine.

Reply to
harry

Not likely, as I lost three drives on the same day.

.

Quite possible the drive just calved by itself without external input??

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

# # A fixed amount. There is no limit on sunshine. #

Only true if you ignore the limits on the output of the sun and the amount of surface area available to capture it,

Reply to
Attila Iskander

Per snipped-for-privacy@aol.com:

If you have it.... that was the point about having multiple copies and keeping some of them where I cannot get to them in the heat of the moment.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Or the cost and life of whatever it is that turns the sun into useful energy. harry doesn't understand that part of the equation.

Reply to
trader4

Per Pete C.:

I like it.

Instead of the fire safe, I stash one copy in the garden shed and another in my car.

Gotta wonder how many people lost all copies of their backup to Sandy.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I wouldn't bet on that. How do you talk to something when there is no one home? The drive has to have enough valid firmware to enable it to recognize commands. If you screw with that, I don't ee how you're going to get new code into it with the drive in a normal PC. I would think it would then require connecting to the drive with a special programming adapter of some kind to put the code into it, if that is even possible.

You would think that the drives would be built so that the firmware could not be changed. But apparently according to that previous post citing a drive manufacturer, it is theoretically possible to screw with the firmware. Now that he's told the world it's possible, it's probably raised the level of interest for hackers.....

Reply to
trader4

.

te:

And you don't understand that fossil fuels are a finite resource.

Reply to
harry

rote:

om

I understand that perfectly well. And just like we went from walking, to the horse, to the steam engine, to the locomotive, to cars, to airplanes, etc., the free market is perfectly capable of making that transition. It will happen over time, when it's economically feasible. What I object to are pinheaded hippies, who know nothing about technology, deciding to print money and hand it out to what they think is a good idea. Case in point, Solyndra and all the others that have sucked up billions of Obama handouts and gone bankrupt, without producing anything.

Reply to
trader4

# # And you don't understand that fossil fuels are a finite resource. #

Are they ? On what do you base this claim ??

Reply to
Attila Iskander

I would worry about that when it actually happens. In the mean time I will assume drives crash on their own and deal with my data that way. Drives are consummables anyway

Reply to
gfretwell

everything, including the sun power, is a finite resource.

Reply to
chaniarts

So, you think that wealthy Democrats are "nothing"?

.

What I object to are pinheaded hippies, who know nothing about technology, deciding to print money and hand it out to what they think is a good idea. Case in point, Solyndra and all the others that have sucked up billions of Obama handouts and gone bankrupt, without producing anything.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

He will, even if it means *you* living in a cave. That's the lefty way.

Reply to
krw

I've seen drives fail from bad microcode - but there was no virus involved - and the drives were not field recoverable. The MPG series Fujitsu comes to mind. The earlier Japanese Fujitsu drives were bulletproof. They started building the MPG series in Thailand and the failure rate within warrantee went up to aproxemately 75%, and one year out of warranty closer to 90%. It put Fujitsu out of the desktop computer hard drive business in a rather spectacular fashion.

Reply to
clare

Not the same brand and model from the same batch?? I bought 5 WD black 500gb drives on the same day. 3 failed that day. 2 stayed on my shelf and failed within 3 months - either on installation or shortly after. They were within 100 in production sequence according to the serial number.

Reply to
clare