"Smart" Meters made them sick

-b022-

Of course domestic PV are connected to the grid shitfer. How else can power be exported? One reason they are disconnected on power failure/outage to prevent them feeding back into the grid and electrocuting whoever is making the repair.

BTW, the ones on poles are not "obviously connected to the grid" I can think of several reason why this might nor be so. All of them to do with money.

Micro-power generation is beneficial because it can be connected to the grid without needing to enlarge/modify the grid, the power generated is used locally. Also it is more secure, if one generator goes down,it's neither here nor there.

Reply to
harry

Even if true, it will be expensive and more polluting and more inefficient to extract. than ever. It will be sent to whoever pays the most. They won't be sending it to your gas station down the road to save you a few bucks.

You are just an American slave to your rich elite who don't give a f**k about you. No-one gives a toss about you, least of all your government. And least of all, republican/bankster governments. You need a proper revolution (as in Russia and Cuba).

It takes time to make a transfer to other power sources. Decades. We already know that leaving such things to banksters and "markets" is disastrous. They are only concerned about a quick buck today. Or people that are not shitferbrains know anyway.

Reply to
harry

Energy is the driving force behind all our economies. Nothing is more important.

If you think some Iranian is trying to hack into your electric meter, you really are paranoid.

On the other hand he could crash an aircraft into a conventional power station. He might find it harder to take out half a million solar panels.

Reply to
harry

The solar panels will be running when you have run out of natural gas. So you are proposing to squander yet another asset? How very banksterish.

Reply to
harry

Some of us are condemned to life in nasty undesireable places;-)

Reply to
harry

Well it would cost you just as much to build any other form of power generation. At least with solar PV, the householder gets the money rather than the banksters.

The present total cost for solar power will be the normal price for electricity in a few years.

Reply to
harry

That can only be good.

Reply to
harry

harry wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@w14g2000vba.googlegroups.com:

jabbut, this stuf is in the netherlands(or Holland maybe).

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

nZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Any make of panel can be used with any grid tie inverter. And panels can be mixed so long as of similar specification. So no problems with replace ments in that respect. Appearance might be an issue with odd panels.

I too have an electric car. I recharge it on sunny days if at all possible. I have a 4Kwp array, the car takes 2.2Kw on charge. All our domestic electricity is 240 volt here. (UK)

Reply to
harry

My city put them on the "Slow-School Zone" signs. Evidently the panels charge a battery most of the day and the battery runs the flashing sign maybe four hours.

Reply to
HeyBub

Yeah, great idea. We should convert to expensive solar panels while the rest of the world uses the huge supply of natural gas, instead of us. Better China and India should use the cheap fossil fuels so they can have lower costs and put more of the USA out of business. You're a financial genius harry!

Reply to
trader4

Which of course is a lie, demonstrated the world over.

Which of course is another lie. The $50K cost of a system doesn't go to the homeowner. It goes to the producers and installers of the eqpt. A good part of that $50K is picked up by the govt using borrowed or printed money. The remainder the homeowner eventually gets back over time in the form of energy cost savings, more utility handouts of other homeowner's money, etc. Govt subsidies can't take something that is economically uncompetitive and change the basic economics.

And then factor in all the other money that has been poured down the solar rat hole. Solyndra being a good example of money going to those that are politically connected. More money borrowed or printed that resulted in total failure. They built a $700bil manufacturing facility using govt money that was uncompetitive the day it opened.

Sure it will. Just like clowns like you told us the price of natural gas would skyrocket 20 years ago. Today it's price is moderate, because of all the new supply coming on line. Even with oil, the USA output is steadily increasing and we are now forecasted to become the largest producer in the world by 2020. If Obama and the libs were not in the way, we'd be there in half the time.

Reply to
trader4

wow, harry. You really think so? Maybe you're not as totally dumb as you appear to be.

Yes, two of your favorite countries. And look at what it's gotten them. Cuba for example. They are still driving 1955 Chevys.

Disasterous? We went from sail power to steamships just fine. From wagon trains to the steam locomotive. From water mills to steam power. From kerosene lamps to electricity. From trains to airplanes. From horses to autos.

Now tell us how much energy the govt produced from the billions Jimmy Carter spent developing shale oil in the 70s? How many solar panels has Solyndra produced? How much money has the govts failed effort at ethanol cost all the consumers? Not just the price of gas, but the huge price increase on bread, cornflakes, and meat? How many more deaths has it caused in Africa, where the price of grains has also risen?

You'd know about shitferbrains, that's for sure.

Reply to
trader4

It's not hacking into one electric meter imbecile. It's bringing down a major portion of the grid for sabotage purposes. If you can hack into one smart meter, you could hack into all the similar ones. And if you screw them so they no longer work and have to be replaced, you have in fact the capability for causing a calamity. And it's not far fetched. PCs have been hacked on a large scale in some sophisticated attacks in a way that damaged them so that they had to be replaced.

It's obvious you don't pay attention to the news. What happened to Iran's computers controlling their centrifuges? And if it can happen to them, why not to smart meters?

Reply to
trader4

If they are grid tied solar panels, he just did.

Reply to
gfretwell

How is the weather there? By the number of Limeys here, it must not be that good.

Reply to
gfretwell

Huh?

Maybe the software had to be reloaded but the hardware was not damaged. I understand that for a lot of idiots getting a virus (or simply a bunch of bloatware) on the machine causes them to just buy a new one, preloaded but if they had their head a quarter inch out of their ass they would format and reload the one they have.

Reply to
gfretwell

fe-b022-

quoted text -

And yet you posted that the solar panels someone saw mounted along the road on utility poles are used where running grid power is too difficult or impossible. Go figure. Those panels too are connected to the grid, dumb ass.

They are not just "disconnected". More importantly without the grid, they no longer provide power to the house. You could disconnect them, just like a standby generator if backfeeding was the issue.

Look dumb ass. The poster was talking about solar panels on utility poles in NJ. You don't live here, so why do you insist on making an ass of yourself? The ones he's talking about are installed by the power company and most certainly grid connected.

Well, yeah. Gee, maybe that's why they are connected to the grid, dumb ass.

Reply to
trader4

A couple weeks ago, I got some trojan from Hell. It wiped out my hard drive. I didn't know what was happening, and had an external drive plugged in. That stopped working, so I tried my other external drive.

I took the three drives to a friend (graduate of a computer college), who could not recover anything. Mailed the drives to another friend who found all three to be dead. Friend two even used the forensic programs that the cops use.

Something got me. And, it did some kind of damage that two techies could not recover.

.

Huh?

Maybe the software had to be reloaded but the hardware was not damaged. I understand that for a lot of idiots getting a virus (or simply a bunch of bloatware) on the machine causes them to just buy a new one, preloaded but if they had their head a quarter inch out of their ass they would format and reload the one they have.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's not farfetched. I assume you've heard of folks that decided to update their bios and wound up with a MB that was kaput? The critical boot-up code is typicaly stored today in flash memory. That makes it possible to do upgrades, if it becomes essential. But I've never done one for precisely that reason. If something goes wrong, it could be bye, bye MB. I guess the other factor was any such bios upgrade wasn't doing much for me, my PC was working ok.

Now you would think there would be part of the Flash that is secure and can't be overwritten by software when updating the bios. Not sure if they do that on some PCs, or not. But the point is that it's a real problem. And I remember hearing about a specific attack from either hackers or foreign govt that did render thousands of PCs kaput so that they had to be scrapped.

Reply to
trader4