"Smart" Meters made them sick

Page 13 of 13
On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 08:08:32 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

I suppose it might be possible to have a virus that would overwrite the BIOS but that would have to be somewhat machine specific.

I remember such a virus back in the 90's. It would screw up the BIOS in any machine running a Microsoft OS. O_o
TDD
On Feb 14, 11:49 am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

d text -

I looked for the actual event and here's what I found. It was last year at Aramco. Here is one report on it:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/11/shamoon-virus-leon-panetta_n_19601 13.html
"More than 30,000 computers that it infected (at ARAMCO) were rendered useless, and had to be replaced," he (Leon Panetta) said.
That's the story line that I heard reported at the time on probably CBS news too.
However if you google for it now, there are a lot of hits on other subequent reports that seem to say that the virus destroyed data, hard drive partitions, etc. in the more normal fashion, ie not so that the eqpt has to be replaced. I think that this looks more like a case of Panetta mistating the facts:
http://www.zdnet.com/us-iran-is-to-blame-for-cyberattacks-7000005672/
A disparity between Panetta's statement that "more than 30,000 computers that it infected were rendered useless and had to be replaced," which "virtually destroyed 30,000 computers" is Aramco's official response, which said that "the virus affected about 30,000 workstations. The workstations have since been cleaned and restored to service."
But is it possible to overwrite the bios and not have enough boot code there that would allow the PC to be reloaded? Not sure. Certainly there have been PCs that were bricked doing bios updates. But then some, as Oren just posted, apparently have more than one bios. But then could a virus whack both of them? Who knows... At the end of the day, you would think there would be one section with the most basic intelligence in the flash chip so that part can get the machine up again to reload a full bios. And that most critical part would be in a part of the chip that can only be programmed by applying a voltage to a pin that the computer cannot do itself. Flash chips with that feature existed as long ago as the 90s. But what each and every PC manufacturer does is obviously up to them....
On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 00:16:50 -0800 (PST), harry

If they are grid tied solar panels, he just did.