"Smart" Meters made them sick

Page 12 of 13
On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 19:47:25 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

What does a corrupted DVD cost? No thanks! A 500GB drive costs about $50 and is a *lot* more reliable than ten DVDs.
I'm sorry that happened to you, but what are the odds of me having a desk top drive and two external drives from the same batch? Not in my life time. Why not go with my explaination which is that I picked up a malware trojan that destroyed my drives? Is that answer unacceptable for some reason?

I bought 5 WD black 500gb drives on the same day. 3 failed that day. 2 stayed on my shelf and failed within 3 months - either on installation or shortly after. They were within 100 in production sequence according to the serial number.
On 2/16/2013 6:44 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

hiding out in one of the universally used software thingies....Java? I didn't bother with it because my computer is mechanically sick anyway and whatever is out there has always been snagged by my friend, Norton. My former family of computer professionals (four of them) each, at some time or another, sent me a virus which Norton caught. They all claimed Norton was junk, but I'm happy with it. Looking for a 'puter not made in China. My first was a Micron, gift from my brother, with quality we'll never see again.

Norton IS a virus!!!
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 12:20:55 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

So is McAfee I just switched to Norton. I see no difference although Norton found 2 infections McAfee didn't in data I have had for years.
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 15:48:43 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I got fed up with them all so switched everything to M$ Security Essentials.

viruses do their dirt in real time.
On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 00:48:33 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Which is why he runs MSE, also.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I have a professional router with extensive firewall in front of my home network in addition to usual virus scanner(with daily auto update) Pro level router needs steep learning curve to get max. benefit out of it but it is worth it. My network is never affected since. Also most of my HDs are SCSI type.
So, I can get Norton by some other infected computer sending it to me?

So is McAfee I just switched to Norton. I see no difference although Norton found 2 infections McAfee didn't in data I have had for years.
On 2/16/2013 12:20 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Microsoft tried for a long time to make it so Nort didn't work...had to fiddle with Win3.1 or 95 to keep it active. I don't know how many times I had to fiddle with the Windows kernel problem to make my happy little PC work, but finally, with the second version of Win95, MS finally got a decent piece of software.....it would do anything, including keep open 20 windows of graphics stuff without hanging or crashing. Of course, MS wouldn't make enough money unless it cranked out crap every couple of years, so along came 2000. So sad that Micron had to give up pc mfg to the cheapsters, as it was a wonderful pc.
Badmouth Norton all you want....haven't had a virus in 19 years of pc use. Of course, using Netscape helped that matter a lot. RIP.
Per Stormin Mormon:

I don't know enough to speculate on the combination of desktop and external, but the time I lost multiple drives in one day it turned out to be a drive controller on the way out that was frying drives as they were connected.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 06:44:05 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Let's be clear, was the drive destroyed or just the data on the drive? (more likely the data was just made unavailable by wiping out the partition table)
I gave the drives to two computer repair people. Both said they could do nothing with the drives. If you want more information than that, the "more information" is totally not available.
Let's be clear, was the drive destroyed or just the data on the drive? (more likely the data was just made unavailable by wiping out the partition table)
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 06:44:05 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

In 20 some years as a computer tech I haven't seen it. I've seen the drives rendered unreadable, or unbootable, but not un-restorable. Not saying it CAN.T happen - but I've never seen it or heard of it being substantiated. 5 years of that with what at that time was the largest distributor of hard drives in Canada.

I instructed tech #2 to put the drives in the trash can. So, you'll have to just wonder about it, and keep yourself awake all night, pacing the floor.
In 20 some years as a computer tech I haven't seen it. I've seen the drives rendered unreadable, or unbootable, but not un-restorable. Not saying it CAN.T happen - but I've never seen it or heard of it being substantiated. 5 years of that with what at that time was the largest distributor of hard drives in Canada.
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Home data security plan:
1. Primary online data storage - NAS server box with fully mirrored disks
2. Onsite offline backup - Encrypted USB3 portable disk in fire safe
3. Offsite offline backup - Encrypted USB3 portable disk in safe deposit box at bank
Put PC backups to NAS automatically at least weekly. Portable disks to match NAS disk size, do full copy backups monthly, updating the onsite disk, swap with the offsite disk, update that disk and place back in fire safe.
Total cost $500 or so, and pretty solid data protection without too much fuss.
Per Pete C.:

I like it.
Instead of the fire safe, I stash one copy in the garden shed and another in my car.
Gotta wonder how many people lost all copies of their backup to Sandy.
--
Pete Cresswell

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Tornado threat around here, I figure even if the bank building is gone the vault will still be there.
On Feb 14, 10:38 am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It's not farfetched. I assume you've heard of folks that decided to update their bios and wound up with a MB that was kaput? The critical boot-up code is typicaly stored today in flash memory. That makes it possible to do upgrades, if it becomes essential. But I've never done one for precisely that reason. If something goes wrong, it could be bye, bye MB. I guess the other factor was any such bios upgrade wasn't doing much for me, my PC was working ok.
Now you would think there would be part of the Flash that is secure and can't be overwritten by software when updating the bios. Not sure if they do that on some PCs, or not. But the point is that it's a real problem. And I remember hearing about a specific attack from either hackers or foreign govt that did render thousands of PCs kaput so that they had to be scrapped.