Smart meters: Cops. Arrests.

Page 2 of 2
On Jan 26, 7:19pm, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Here where I live in NJ they have electronic water meters buried at the street. The town does drive-bys to read them. It's much faster as they don't even have to get out of the car or even come to a stop.
On 01-26-2013 20:11, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Mine's in the basement near the floor. It amazes me that the signal passes through eight inches of concrete with a rebar grid in it, then through twenty feet of gravelly clay, four feet of air, and the metal body of a van, yet is powered by something that never needs its batteries changed.
While my Sprint WiFi-enabled cell phone couldn't maintain a connection with thirty inches of air between it and the WiFi router.
--
Wes Groleau

“Statistics are like bikinis.

thats the physics of bitrate...
the water meter has to send a few bytes of data and has hours to do it...
your wifi sends Mbytes of data every second..
the new water meters are interesting, a few months ago we had a note on our water bill informing us that one of our toilets is leaking... :-)
Mark
On 01-26-2013 21:08, Mark wrote:

No, it has the ten or twenty seconds that the reader van takes to drive past.
It has to send the meter ID, the eight or ten digits of the measurement, plus some handshaking bits.
--
Wes Groleau

Pat's Polemics
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 17:11:39 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

I'll bet that's what they're doing. They said they had a "smart grid" but I don't think the infrastructure was in place yet. They were adding Internet service to their "smart grid" but that's a couple of years off. Meanwhile I'll bet they're doing drive-bys. I'm pretty sure the meter is in a pit in the front yard. The irrigation system is in that general direction, too.

I hear ya'. The water, sewer, garbage, and electricity are all run by the city but there are two separate entities (water/sewer, electric/garbage) doing the work. They want to use one grid for collection but it'll probably be an Abbot and Costello movie in the making with them tripping over each other (and the new Internet service).

I can't wait, though the city is fairly well run, otherwise.

Not really... The peak field reading drop off is a function of 1/2 wavelength(16.6cm @900mhz), propogation speed through various mediums, and antenna configuration(some where between inverse squared, and inverse cubed.).

To have any potential of a physical impact the device needs to be within the near field of the RF. At 800 MHz that is on the order of 2.5 cm.

I've worked with RF from 100KHz to GHz for near 50 years. I defy you to produce sufficient power to induce a RF burn with < 0.6 watt input (RF output is down by 50%+)

Cites?
Have you read those studies? Much less reviewed the reputations of the folk running them or the protocols set up for them? Hint I attended the hearings in Washington and visited some of the research as it was being conducted.

In part true but to what end? Unless the do-bad has a personal hard on for the home owner what could be accomplished other than turning off the power? Which depending on how the system was configured could be automatically switched back on in short order?

Could be but the first time a utility or the manufacturer is caught at that game ... FILM AT 6 & 11 and every 1/2 hour for the rest of the week.

Any PV system connected to the grid MUST HAVE UTILITY approval and inspection (I've done a few). If not as soon as it's found out the service is cut and WILL NOT BE RESTORED until there is a proctor scope examination of the electrical system on the entire property. Fees and fines must be paid in advance.
Power meters do not read power factor/phase change they ONLY read true power delivered. Power factor changes are only applied to large industry customers and this to the extent that the charges are interned to educate the user to address and adjust the power factor losses up the line. (The process is taugh in Power 101 levels of EE classes at every decent engineering school)
Power meters are directional. Long time back a bunch of rural stump jumpers figured that out and went to flipping the meters. Got away with it until one or two forgot to switch them back before the meter reader showed up. They also firuged out that a Dasey BB gun could shoot a small hole in the glass cover that they could stick a straw though to stop the meter. The result was one hell of a hard (BB proff) glass cover over the meter.

Likely a tariff item and just as likely to be continued until the users contact the regulators. Expect a lot of wild a** justification claims on the part of the utility for the need for those fees.
Want a real case of the GoGoLaRough (red a**) take a look at your phone and cable bill. Then follow the various fees. More than a few have no basis in law, tarriff or logic save in the mind of some creative manager in the provider company.

Did the rep mention the potential vulnerability of the meters to electronic tampering to make them useless? Yes they are and to be honest the industry has not quite gotten a handle on that problem (see stump jumpers above) saving grace is none of the end users have (yet) figured it out either.

You'd be out on your butt and the court house steps by summery. That is on the assumption you could find a qualified lawyer to take the case.
On 01-26-2013 07:38, NotMe wrote:

"The Chamber continues to see suspicious activity, they say. A thermostat at a town house the Chamber owns on Capitol Hill at one point was communicating with an Internet address in China, they say, and, in March, a printer used by Chamber executives spontaneously started printing pages with Chinese characters."
Not likely to happen to a homeowner via an electric meter, but still interesting. From <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204058404577110541568535300.html
--
Wes Groleau

Is it an on-line compliment to call someone a Net Wit ?
"HeyBub" ( snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMgmail.com) writes:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/suburbs/naperville/chi-naperville-smart-meter-arrest-20130123,0,6519967.story
I heard a rumour about the Texas woman who shot a power meter with a gun. The rumour is she said this to the judge.
"Sheeit your Honour... them smart meters ain't smart... ah pointed my gun at mine and it didn't duck!"