Smart Meters

Page 1 of 3
I know they store power usage trends and can see how that might help the power generators. I logged in to my account and saw that when I ran the AC, the power usage went up. What a revelation! LOL! Other than that, what use are these things?
On 12/17/2013 07:26 PM, Guv Bob wrote:

Getting people comfortable with having every possible aspect of their lives monitored and scrutinized. For your security and convenience, of course.
Jon

Raise the cost of electricity when you want to use it. My wife now does her laundry after midnight so she can dry the clothes at the low rate. Otherwise our outrageous electric cost would be even higher.
Did you know that during Earth Hour, when everyone is encouraged to turn off the lights for one hour, the electric companies pay industry to use up the power. This is because you cannot shut down a nuclear plant for one hour, nor stop a hydro dam or even shut down a coal powered generator plant. Instead of saving money it costs us all extra to not use the lights for one hour.
On 12/18/2013 12:47 PM, EXT wrote:

This is not true. Power plants can throttle down the output, directly, and bring offline necessary units in running standby, or stopped standby, mode.
Look up "droop mode vs isochronous" via search engine.
Depending on what is going on, and how the plant is operated, switching all units (maybe minus one) into droop will have the power plant reacting to load conditions. Many power plants have automatic controls for such circumstances. Others might have operators that will make the decision. Shutting the plant down is not necessary.

Perhaps in theory, but Ontario Hydro the electric generator for Ontario, Canada, was scrambling to cover the drop in consumption during the last earth day according to reports.
On 12/18/2013 8:18 PM, EXT wrote:

You are talking about Canada, ya know. They lost a good part of their grid, and punked some of the Northeastern grid, because of a solar flare. Meanwhile, the rest of the world laughed. :-)
With modern controls it is rather easy to manage such a situation. Though, if there has not been an upgrade in 30 plus years... Anyway, even 40 year old technology can handle the situation if implemented correctly.

one would assume that turning the spigot down on the hydro plants would have the effect of throttling the output and saving the water for later high demands...of course if OH is no longer using hydropower, they'd have to have other management tools
not to mention that if they can't schedule production based on what they knew would be a known drop in consumption, they need to offshore their management

I've heard of water being pumped back up hill for energy storage. Of course that energy was probably from another source that could not conserve it or cost more to throttle back.
On 12/19/2013 1:56 PM, Frank wrote: ...

Yes, even hydro isn't 100%. There's no benefit in trying to generate the power for your own pumped storage; it loses.
There are pumped storage peaking units which use off-peak generation for the purpose to be able to provide peak capacity later. Smith Mountain Dam hydro unit in VA was built for the purpose; I've not looked to see whether they're still using it that way or not since have been gone 30 yr or so now...

On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:18:50 PM UTC-5, EXT wrote:

You mean this Ontario Hydro power company?:
http://www.hydroone.com/OurCompany/MediaCentre/Documents/NewsReleases2012/0 3_28_2012_EarthHour.pdf
"Hydro one is not afraid of the dark this earth hour..."
http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1132479/hydro-one-encourages-customers-to-p ower-down-for-conservation-this-earth-hour
Hydro One encourages customers to power down for conservation this Earth Ho ur
TORONTO, March 20, 2013 /CNW/ - Last year, Hydro One customers saved enoug h energy to power the city of Belleville during Earth Hour. This year, Hydr o One is urging its customers to save even more than the 202 MW saved last year by turning off lights and unplugging unnecessary appliances on March 2 3 from 8:30 - 9:30 p.m. Hydro One customers will join millions of people wo rldwide in conserving energy in support of Earth Hour.
Or this power company?:
http://www.innisfilhydro.com/Conservation/EarthHour.aspx
Innisfil Wish Event 2012 Innisfil, ON (April 3, 2012) – Innisfil met the Earth Hour challenge with great success. A 13.93% (4983.91 kWh) energy savings was calculated by Inn isfil Hydro for the 8:30-9:30 pm timeframe on Saturday, March 31, 2012. Thi s was the largest energy savings Innisfil has reached in six years of parti cipating in Earth Hour.
If you have sources for what you claim, we'd like to see them. Following that logic, the power company should have to be dumping electricity everyday at 3AM or paying people to take it, when demand is lower than it is at noon.
On 12/18/2013 12:47 PM, EXT wrote: ...

Sheer nonsense (on both counts). You don't have to shut it off; unless it was a _very_ small utility with a very large fraction of participants that made a difference in demand on their grid of more than the combined runback capacity of all generation on the grid, they've no real problem at all.
Certainly anybody as large as OH and with a high fraction of hydro that is about the most flexible there is wouldn't have much problem at all.

Probably able to receive and pass on any speech recorded by a second device (bug) that transmits with only enough power to reach the meter, which then sends it on.
On 2/12/2014 11:44 AM, David Combs wrote:

NSA says to quit singing in the shower.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/17/2013 9:26 PM, Guv Bob wrote:

The secret police want to know what hours of the day you are home so they can do a sneak and peek to find out if you have any seditious tendencies. They will go through all your papers, copy the hard drive in any computers you have, bug your home and surveil your land line and cellphone. If you are suspected of sedition, a heavily armed SWAT team will kick in your door then drag you and your family away for interrogation. ^_^
TDD

You forgot, "and drink all your beer."
On 12/18/2013 8:50 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

I didn't think of that because I've never drunk a beer or even a glass of wine in my life. I suppose that makes me a heretic who must turn in his man card. ^_^
TDD

No meter readers.
Scott Lurndal wrote:

And no misreads. Pre smart meters I had a fair number of incidents where I had to call in a corrected reading when the meter reader messed up one of the upper digits.

No reason they can't (except some money). The city I used to live in was converting over to a "smart grid" that was part of their cable/Internet system. It would have eliminated meter readers completely (they had been doing it with the truck up and down the street, as you suggest, for years).
Oren wrote:

What does that have to do with misreads? The old visual readings were fraught with errors, an electronic reading is normally error free.